New Lounger
    Thanks
    One of the things I have not managed to do with Word 2003 is to provide multiple text-alignment formats on a single line.

There is a help topic named that, but in fact it does not describe any procedureto do it. What is wanted is text at the left margin, then margin-centered text, then right-justified text at the right margin.

Thus, it would look like this:

D. Cook ___________________________________ Wednesday, May 13, 2009 _________________________________________ 2:32 pm

(without the underlines--this forum apparently won't let me format a line using spaces) and text would follow. I use this for keeping telephone notes.

Although it can be done by applying spaces and tabs, since this is available in other environments with just two keystrokes I wonder if I've missed some obvious ability in Word? Can this be done without using spaces and/or tabs?

Thanks.

Don.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The way to do it in Word is with a center-aligned tabstop in the middle of the ruler and a right-aligned tabstop at the right margin. You can then enter

D. Cook<tab key>Wednesday, May 13, 2009"<tab key>2:32 pm

Word doesn't have a feature similar to the one in WordPerfect you were probably thinking of.

PS it's a generic feature of HTML (the "code" used for web pages) to collapse multiple spaces into a single one. If you want text to be displayed as entered, place it between [code] and [/code] tags:

Code:
    a   b	  c			 d

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Don!

The other way I know to do it is by creating (inserting) a three-celled table (i.e., one row with three columns), formatting the alignment in each cell differently, and removing all of the table borders so they don't print.

Does that help?

Jan

Author, "Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2007"

Administrator, WordPerfect Universe: www.wpuniverse.com
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='775299' date='14-May-2009 15:42']The way to do it in Word is with a center-aligned tabstop in the middle of the ruler and a right-aligned tabstop at the right margin. You can then enter

D. Cook<tab key>Wednesday, May 13, 2009"<tab key>2:32 pm[/quote]
    HansV,

OK, I see what you're suggesting. So a macro would presumably set the tab stops, enter the information I showed and then restore the pre-existing tab stops. Good solution.

Word doesn't have a feature similar to the one in WordPerfect you were probably thinking of.
    Oops. Pulled my covers. This is my first job where I have to use Word some (WP user since 1988), since AFAIK it is pretty nearly impossible to translate complex docs to Word from WP. And is it in fact the object-oriented approach I had always heard about that prevents Word from doing what I am after? Although you have probably discerned a preference, I'm doing some of the more complex work in Word. Which will do most stuff I need, I think.

PS it's a generic feature of HTML (the "code" used for web pages) to collapse multiple spaces into a single one. If you want text to be displayed as entered, place it between [code] and [/code] tags:
    Code:
    a   b	  c			 d
    Yeah, I supposed it was something like that, but didn't know there was a way around it. Excellent!

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='775319' date='14-May-2009 17:16']Hi, Don!

The other way I know to do it is by creating (inserting) a three-celled table (i.e., one row with three columns), formatting the alignment in each cell differently, and removing all of the table borders so they don't print.

Does that help?

Jan[/quote]
    Jan,

Thanks for the workable reply. Again, presumably something that could be executed by a macro.

...Administrator, WordPerfect Universe: www.wpuniverse.com
    Oh, yes, I remember your byline from over there. Good to see you again.

Don.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Don,

Just want to note that neither of the solutions Hans or Jan suggested would require any use of a macro per se - you can accomplish these perfectly well in the user interface, without resorting to a macro. (Or are you trying to create the document programatically? - not clear from your posts).

Gary