Thread: Lock Computer

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I read an article about shortcut keys for Windows XP and it mentioned Winkey+L would lock the computer. There was no mention of how to unlock the PC again. I am tempted to try this shortcut but am afraid that I will never get back in.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='775414' date='15-May-2009 23:52']There was no mention of how to unlock the PC again. I am tempted to try this shortcut but am afraid that I will never get back in.[/quote]
    Do you have a password on the account?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='775414' date='15-May-2009 17:52']I read an article about shortcut keys for Windows XP and it mentioned Winkey+L would lock the computer. There was no mention of how to unlock the PC again. I am tempted to try this shortcut but am afraid that I will never get back in.[/quote]
    When you lock the PC you should then see the same logon screen you see at a normal bootup, whereby you can enter your password and log back on.

Even if the Windows screensaver kicks in while it's locked, upon pressing a key you should be shown the Welcome Screen.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='775416' date='16-May-2009 11:11']Do you have a password on the account?[/quote]

No I do not have a password.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='775417' date='16-May-2009 11:27']When you lock the PC you should then see the same logon screen you see at a normal bootup, whereby you can enter your password and log back on.

Even if the Windows screensaver kicks in while it's locked, upon pressing a key you should be shown the Welcome Screen.[/quote]

I do not have a password on my account. Does this mean Windows would just open normally?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='775435' date='15-May-2009 22:32']I do not have a password on my account. Does this mean Windows would just open normally?[/quote]
    Truth is, I don't really know, but I think so. (I haven't had a PC sans password for a long, long time.)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    This may depend on the computer. I once had not one but two closely-related computers which allowed, at hardware or BIOS level, a power-on password and, you guessed it, I had the same for both and forgot, after the computers had been idle for centuries, what the blasted password was. Anything for XP or any other operating system is strictly software, and I suspect would be less secure.

I could say it drove me crazy, but people might take me seriously. By all means give it a password, but forget all the balderdash you have heard about not writing it down and write it down. Put it somewhere safe, but not so safe that you could forget where it is. A safety deposit box is fine, if you already have one. You are paying the bank an annual and probably tax-deductible sum for the box, so let them earn their keep.

If you happen to have Vista Ultimate, you can encrypt the whole shooting-match, and possibly add a power-on password, depending on hardware, on top of that

Here is a quick edit: Big Al's reply was correct, and I got off the track (since you did specify XP). 'Lock' simply means, I think, (and you had better double-check it), that you have to re-enter your password when you want to use the computer again. It is just a simple way of ensuring that no one but you can use the computer unless they know your password. 'Lock' just puts your machine back to a state in which you have to enter your password or it won't work. All you have the remember is your regular password. By all means write that down and keep it in a safe place, and if you chage it regularly, as is recommended, keep track of the changes, because you'll need them if you want to restore your backups.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='775434' date='16-May-2009 04:31']No I do not have a password.[/quote]
    The idea of locking is to stop others from using the PC and have access to your files, while not turning off the PC. If you don't have a password on your account in your daily use, then it's not going to lock. And a restart of the PC would anyhow give direct access to the account and the rest of the PC, since no password.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='775435' date='15-May-2009 22:32']I do not have a password on my account.[/quote]
    I think that, in a manner of speaking, that you're getting the same or similar message from Peterg, Argus and me: you really ought to use a password on your Windows computer, regardless of what version of OS you run.

Also, I can confirm what I thought and Argus said, for I have removed the password from a "limited account" (not administrator) I keep on this computer and rebooted. If I use Winkey-L the computer appears to go into "lock" mode but upon touching the keyboard it re-awakens. Not "secure" at all, so of no value without a password.

While I was playing, I switched user to my regular account, leaving the limited one open. Winkey-L brings up the Welcome Screen and I have to enter the password to re-enter the account.

PS I did put the password BACK on my limited account! I keep it there for my grandson to use (or any other visitor).

Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='775434' date='15-May-2009 22:31']No I do not have a password.[/quote]
    I don't have any passwords either. I am the only one with access to this machine. I don't have sleep or hibernate modes enabled, so once it's up and running for the day, it's open. I do close it down at night.
    So I don't see the need for any password protection.

Please tell me why I should have a password?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='775482' date='16-May-2009 09:14']Please tell me why I should have a password? [/quote]

The ONLY reason that we are using passwords is because Vista and Windows 7 likes them and makes "Network sharing" a lot simpler.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='775492' date='16-May-2009 19:10']The ONLY reason that we are using passwords is because Vista and Windows 7 likes them and makes "Network sharing" a lot simpler.[/quote]
    Well, perhaps not the only reason and we're in the XP forum - so why not mention: scheduled tasks needs them, if you are not logged on and they are supposed to run.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/kb00310715.aspx

As to my input on the subject earlier; since I didn't know if the OP had a password (but somehow had a vague hunch he didn't) I thought I'd ask. If there was a pw, my question would hint at what was needed to "un-lock", and if there wasn't any pw, well, then lock is of no use, and could be dealt with in a follow up post.

The use of passwords on a private PC with no access for other people is perhaps not that important. But I have it on all I use.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I should have also stated that since we have XP machines on the network, the passwords on all machines helps the XP vs. Vista/ Windows 7 network interface.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='775482' date='16-May-2009 12:14']Please tell me why I should have a password?[/quote]
    I may be showing my technology ignorance here because I don't know about any of the innards of what I'm about to say!

I started using a password way back at Win95 or Win98 (I don't remember for sure which) at the recommendation of MANY gurus on such topics. I think the idea is to prevent a potential "hacker" who manages to get through your router or modem from accessing your system. I don't know if that really works, but neither do I know if dead bolting my doors prevents burglars or intruders, but I do it for insurance.

I suppose there's a gazillion links out there on the topic of passwords, so here's just one: Protect your computer with a password