Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Under Office 2007 Outlook has hit me with an unprecedented complication. It is fully backed up to a removable drive, so there is no worry in that department. It is conceivable that the backup had something to do with it. (This includes both a full (Acronis) backup as well as a separate *.pst backup.)

In the QuickStart menu it will not start, nor will it start from the Start menu itself, and in the notification area, where I don't think it normally appears, it appears as a greyed out icon with an 'X' on it. I think it likely that I can shut down with no complications and simply re-start, but it is the sort of thing that I don't like to leave unresolved before shutting down when I know that it may come back again. It looks like nothing, but it could be something. It's still there and I'm still here, looking at the (redacted) screen.

If anyone can shed light on this mildly scary mystery, I welcome advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='peterg' post='775441' date='16-May-2009 02:45']Under Office 2007 Outlook has hit me with an unprecedented complication. It is fully backed up to a removable drive, so there is no worry in that department. It is conceivable that the backup had something to do with it. (This includes both a full (Acronis) backup as well as a separate *.pst backup.)

In the QuickStart menu it will not start, nor will it start from the Start menu itself, and in the notification area, where I don't think it normally appears, it appears as a greyed out icon with an 'X' on it. I think it likely that I can shut down with no complications and simply re-start, but it is the sort of thing that I don't like to leave unresolved before shutting down when I know that it may come back again. It looks like nothing, but it could be something. It's still there and I'm still here, looking at the (redacted) screen.

If anyone can shed light on this mildly scary mystery, I welcome advice.[/quote]

That is an indicator that Outlook is still shutting down. If this happens for more than a few seconds usually that means some addon is not allowing Outlook to finish the shut down process. Also, Skype has been known to cause issues.

BTW, do you have Office 2007 SP-2 installed yet?

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that useful bit of information Joe. I didn't know what to make of it, and having an explanation makes a world of difference. The problem appears to have been satisfactorily resolved of its own accord, presumably as part of the shutdown process.

SP-2 is fully installed, including Project and Visio, with no problem of any sort to report.

Thanks again,

Pete

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='peterg' post='775571' date='17-May-2009 08:59']Thanks for that useful bit of information Joe. I didn't know what to make of it, and having an explanation makes a world of difference. The problem appears to have been satisfactorily resolved of its own accord, presumably as part of the shutdown process.

SP-2 is fully installed, including Project and Visio, with no problem of any sort to report.[/quote]

You're welcome. I've noticed that icon at work when I shut Outlook down. It only lasts for a few seconds. So, I've never been concerned about it. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe