New Lounger
    Thanks
    This bug happens every day since I installed 2 updates on March 20, and it's so insufferable that I have to reboot the computer every time it happens, which is about 1-3 hours after the last reboot, but only if I'm using the keyboard.

What happens is:

- AutoHotKey (http://www.autohotkey.com/) stops working. This is a program that maps key presses to other things. I can't use Windows without it, as it is too painful for me to press the mouse buttons, and this lets me map keys to the mouse buttons.

- The right-click on the mouse stops working correctly to select things; it acts as
    if either the shift or the ctrl key is pressed down.
    - The keyboard also acts as if the shift or ctrl key is pressed down.
    - This does not go away if I plug in a different keyboard.

I'm using an XT keyboard plugged in through a USB adapter plugged in through a 7-connector USB hub.
    The updates I installed may be KB960225, KB958690 (security updates for XP), and KB959772 (Critical update for media player).
    I'm not certain, since I documented that I installed the updates on 3/20, and "Add or remove programs" says these were installed on 3/11, and that no Windows updates were installed between 3/11 and 4/15.

I could uninstall the updates, but I can't use System Restore, because on my computer the System Restore dialog box doesn't register clicks to the "Next" button. I haven't uninstalled them yet, because it warns me that 7 other security updates for Windows XP "might not run properly" if I remove it.

This is on a Gigabyte M59SLI-M5 motherboard, with a GEForce 7600 nVidia graphics card, and 10GB installed RAM (which, I know, isn't used by XP).

Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='shagbark' post='775504' date='16-May-2009 14:05']This bug happens every day since I installed 2 updates on March 20, and it's so insufferable that I have to reboot the computer every time it happens, which is about 1-3 hours after the last reboot, but only if I'm using the keyboard.

What happens is:

- AutoHotKey (http://www.autohotkey.com/) stops working. This is a program that maps key presses to other things. I can't use Windows without it, as it is too painful for me to press the mouse buttons, and this lets me map keys to the mouse buttons.

- The right-click on the mouse stops working correctly to select things; it acts as
    if either the shift or the ctrl key is pressed down.
    - The keyboard also acts as if the shift or ctrl key is pressed down.
    - This does not go away if I plug in a different keyboard.

I'm using an XT keyboard plugged in through a USB adapter plugged in through a 7-connector USB hub.
    The updates I installed may be KB960225, KB958690 (security updates for XP), and KB959772 (Critical update for media player).
    I'm not certain, since I documented that I installed the updates on 3/20, and "Add or remove programs" says these were installed on 3/11, and that no Windows updates were installed between 3/11 and 4/15.

I could uninstall the updates, but I can't use System Restore, because on my computer the System Restore dialog box doesn't register clicks to the "Next" button. I haven't uninstalled them yet, because it warns me that 7 other security updates for Windows XP "might not run properly" if I remove it.

This is on a Gigabyte M59SLI-M5 motherboard, with a GEForce 7600 nVidia graphics card, and 10GB installed RAM (which, I know, isn't used by XP).

Any ideas?[/quote]

1.) Does this happen immediately after a re-boot or only after the system is used for a while?
    2.) Do you have the latest drivers for you keyboard?
    3.) Do yo have the latest version of Autohotkey?
    4.) Have you add or changes any hardware recently?
    5.) What other software has been added or changed recently?
    6.) Have you uninstalled the patches to see if the issue goes away? Particularly KB958690 as the description says it affects how input is validate and passed to the OS kernel.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you posted this issue with the support group of "AutoHotkey" at http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/forum-1.html ?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' date='18-May-2009 09:02' post='775686']
    1.) Does this happen immediately after a re-boot or only after the system is used for a while?

After a while.

2.) Do you have the latest drivers for you keyboard?

There are no drivers for my keyboard.

3.) Do yo have the latest version of Autohotkey?

Yes.

6.) Have you uninstalled the patches to see if the issue goes away? Particularly KB958690 as the description says it affects how input is validate and passed to the OS kernel.

Uninstalling KB958690 made the issue go away. Hooray!
    (It might have been KB960225; I can't check where I am now. It was the one that, when I began to uninstall it, it warned that it might make AutoHotKey stop working.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='shagbark' post='781286' date='23-Jun-2009 12:26']Uninstalling KB958690 made the issue go away. Hooray!
    (It might have been KB960225; I can't check where I am now. It was the one that, when I began to uninstall it, it warned that it might make AutoHotKey stop working.)[/quote]

Glad you got it worked out. Thanks for posting back as your solution may help some one else too.

Joe
    Joe