New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have noticed that when my XP machine goes into hibernation, I lose connection to a number of drives (E, F, G, H). I retain C and D(cd drive). In order to get back the drives I have to restart the machine. If I understand hibernation correctly, it is to save power. So is it disconnecting the drives to save power or do I have some sort of problem?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What are these OTHER dives, USB or what?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='775520' date='16-May-2009 17:03']What are these OTHER dives, USB or what?[/quote]

Two 250 gb hard drives that have been partitioned.

Thanks
    [quote name='northernhillbilly' post='775510' date='16-May-2009 15:45']I have noticed that when my XP machine goes into hibernation, I lose connection to a number of drives (E, F, G, H). I retain C and D(cd drive). In order to get back the drives I have to restart the machine. If I understand hibernation correctly, it is to save power. So is it disconnecting the drives to save power or do I have some sort of problem?[/quote]
    How much free space do you have on your Primary drive? Hibernation takes up a lot of HD space.
    Also, how much RAM do you have installed?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='northernhillbilly' post='775585' date='17-May-2009 11:06']Two 250 gb hard drives that have been partitioned.[/quote]
    Are they internal or external?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='775593' date='17-May-2009 14:57']Are they internal or external?[/quote]
    Have 46.6 GB free on my primary drive. Running 1 GB of ram. Both are internal drives.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='northernhillbilly' post='775510' date='16-May-2009 20:45']I have noticed that when my XP machine goes into hibernation, I lose connection to a number of drives (E, F, G, H). I retain C and D(cd drive). In order to get back the drives I have to restart the machine. If I understand hibernation correctly, it is to save power. So is it disconnecting the drives to save power or do I have some sort of problem?[/quote]

When you look at the controller for these disks in Device Manager do you see a Power Management tab?
    If so then try disabling the option to turn off power for the device (attached screenshot is from a Network card, not all devices will have this tab)

[attachment=83829:PowerManagement.GIF]
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='775667' date='18-May-2009 03:22']When you look at the controller for these disks in Device Manager do you see a Power Management tab?
    If so then try disabling the option to turn off power for the device (attached screenshot is from a Network card, not all devices will have this tab)

[attachment=83829:PowerManagement.GIF][/quote]
    Do not have the tab.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='northernhillbilly' post='775702' date='18-May-2009 09:00']Do not have the tab.[/quote]

1.) Many hibernation issues are machine specific. What is the make & model of the PC?
    2.) Is XP up-to-date with patches?
    3.) What XP service pack level is installed?
    4.) Have you reviewed How to troubleshoot hibernation and standby issues in Windows XP?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='775727' date='18-May-2009 12:08']1.) Many hibernation issues are machine specific. What is the make & model of the PC?
    2.) Is XP up-to-date with patches?
    3.) What XP service pack level is installed?
    4.) Have you reviewed How to troubleshoot hibernation and standby issues in Windows XP?

Joe[/quote]

It is a Lenovo with a AMD Sempron Processor. All patches are up-to-date. Service pack 3. Will take a look at the site.
    Thanks.