Lincoln

Slow Opening Documents

I have Word 9.0.4402 SR-1 on a Windows NT 4 SP-6a workstation on a NetWare network. Opening a small document takes one minute or longer, and opening a document with links to Excel takes ten minutes! It does not matter if the document is on my local hard drive or any of the three servers. Does anyone have a clue what is wrong? Word 97 opened these documents in a flash.
    Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Slow Opening Documents

Possibly related to the attached template for the file. When you finally open it, detach the attached template (which may be located on a server available via a very slow link) and save the file and try again.
    If the file opens quickly, let me know and I will explain what is happening.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lincoln

Your post sent me off in the right direction. My Palm Desktop put a dot in startup. Removing it brought things "up to speed". I use the Palm Desktop, so I will need to find a fix. Funny that it worked fine with Word 97. Off to the Palm forum...
    Thanks for the tip.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Remove it from your start-up list but make it available as an add-in.
    You can then make the add-in active or not by ticking it in "Templates and AddIns". If you leave it off by default and turn it on when you need to synch then turn it off you shouldn't have the problem. A macro can make this easier.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia