Thread: Access 200

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have exported a query in my database to Excel. Additions and changes were made in Excel to this query, and I now want to import back to Access. I keep getting an error and unable to import. Should I be imported back to the query instead of the main table? If I have to import back into the query, will it update all the tables. Thank you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    No you cannot import to queries. You must import to tables.
    You can import to a new table, then use that to update multiple tables if need be.
    Regards
    John

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Danielle' post='775565' date='17-May-2009 08:25']I have exported a query in my database to Excel. Additions and changes were made in Excel to this query, and I now want to import back to Access. I keep getting an error and unable to import. Should I be imported back to the query instead of the main table? If I have to import back into the query, will it update all the tables. Thank you. [/quote]
    It would help if you explained what error. I'm assuming you created a linked table in Access to that spreadsheet, and then created a query that joined the spreadsheet with the original table? Is this where the error occurred?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johnhutchison' post='775567' date='17-May-2009 08:36']No you cannot import to queries. You must import to tables.
    You can import to a new table, then use that to update multiple tables if need be.[/quote]

If I import to a new table, how do I get that new table to update the all ready set up tables in my database without it affecting how my database is set up.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can create an update query that updates existing records in the "old" table with the changes made in the imported table. For this, you will need to join the "old" table and the imported table on the appropriate field(s).

Next, you can create an append query that adds the new records from the imported table to the "old" table. New records are the ones that don't have a match in the "old" table on the appropriate field(s).