Thread: Translation

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anybody know how to translate text from the Arabic8 character set used on an HP 3000 system to the Arabic character set used in Microsoft products?

Cheers,
    Kevin Bell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently nobody knows. I fear you'll have to create your own translation table manually.

The HP Arabic8 character set can be found on page 47 of this scanned document (PDF), and the Arabic characters in the Unicode character set can be found here (also a PDF).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='777167' date='27-May-2009 19:34']Apparently nobody knows. I fear you'll have to create your own translation table manually.

The HP Arabic8 character set can be found on page 47 of this scanned document (PDF), and the Arabic characters in the Unicode character set can be found here (also a PDF).[/quote]
    Thanks Hans. The information will be useful. Unfortunately I don't think I can do this using pure substitution. The font structure on an HP 3000 is quite different from that used in Windows insomuch as for Arabic, where a character can have a number of shapes based on its position in a sentence it actually has a number of distinct character values. In order for me to do this by substitution I will have to reverse engineer the contextual analysis to pick the correct HP 3000 shape.

If I don't give up I'll post my solution ut to be honest, based on my progress so far, don't bank on it.

Cheers,
    Kevin Bell