Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I am a long time user of Mozilla Thunderbird. My TB profile is on my XP drive. I have XP, Vista and now Win 7 RC on three separate drives (partitions) which I triple boot to, using Vista BootPro. A year ago when I installed Vista, I learned here in The Lounge and the Mozilla forum, how to use my TB profile, located on the XP drive, in Vista Ultimate. It has been working fine and still is as I write this post. When I open TB, either in XP or Vista, I'm taken to the profile that has all my email records.

When I try to do the same thing in Windows 7 RC, I get a message that the profile is in use. According to the Mozilla forum the most common cause of this error message is the failure to delete a "lock" file on TB exit. Well, that file doesn't exist and HAS been deleted. Still, when I try to set TB in Win7 RC to use that profile (on the XP drive) I get a flaky message about the forward slash not being allowed and there is NO forward slash in the profile selection process.

If anyone knows of a workaround for this problem, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until Win7 goes "Gold" and Mozilla catches up.

I've had a lot of trouble SEARCHING on the Mozilla forums as it won't accept such search terms as "Windows 7" as being too "common" and therefore disallowed. Aaaarrrgh!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='775622' date='17-May-2009 16:33']I am a long time user of Mozilla Thunderbird. My TB profile is on my XP drive. I have XP, Vista and now Win 7 RC on three separate drives (partitions) which I triple boot to, using Vista BootPro. A year ago when I installed Vista, I learned here in The Lounge and the Mozilla forum, how to use my TB profile, located on the XP drive, in Vista Ultimate. It has been working fine and still is as I write this post. When I open TB, either in XP or Vista, I'm taken to the profile that has all my email records.

When I try to do the same thing in Windows 7 RC, I get a message that the profile is in use. According to the Mozilla forum the most common cause of this error message is the failure to delete a "lock" file on TB exit. Well, that file doesn't exist and HAS been deleted. Still, when I try to set TB in Win7 RC to use that profile (on the XP drive) I get a flaky message about the forward slash not being allowed and there is NO forward slash in the profile selection process.

If anyone knows of a workaround for this problem, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until Win7 goes "Gold" and Mozilla catches up.

I've had a lot of trouble SEARCHING on the Mozilla forums as it won't accept such search terms as "Windows 7" as being too "common" and therefore disallowed. Aaaarrrgh![/quote]

It might be a permissions problem. In Win7, can you access the folder with Windows Explorer? Can you add, change, delete entries in the folder?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='775655' date='17-May-2009 21:45']It might be a permissions problem.[/quote]
    That's it, Joe, ya nailed it! I modified the permissions and TB opened up lickety-split.

Now I'm faced with the same question I was a year ago with Vista and I've been dealing with it one case at a time there: since my XP installation is where a LOT of files are that I will need on the Win7 setup, should I try to do the permissions thing on that WHOLE drive or continue to handle it on a "by occurrence" basis?

Like Vista, I'm gonna put it off since this is a RC installation and will eventually be blown away.

Thanks again Joe!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='775674' date='18-May-2009 05:12']That's it, Joe, ya nailed it! I modified the permissions and TB opened up lickety-split.

Now I'm faced with the same question I was a year ago with Vista and I've been dealing with it one case at a time there: since my XP installation is where a LOT of files are that I will need on the Win7 setup, should I try to do the permissions thing on that WHOLE drive or continue to handle it on a "by occurrence" basis?

Like Vista, I'm gonna put it off since this is a RC installation and will eventually be blown away.[/quote]

Happy to help.

IMO, for Win7 you've got a few things to consider. Are these data files, program installation files, both? What is going to be your primary OS after Win7 is installed? How long are you going to keep the older OSes installed? Should they be moved to a VM? Should these files be moved to a different HD and a new folder structure that may be easier to manage? Do you want to take the time to ferret out all the files/folders and deal with the permissions issue at one time? Is it easier to just deal with the issues as they pop up?

Is that enough? Ain't technology wonderful?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='775688' date='18-May-2009 09:11']Happy to help.[/quote]
    Taking your comments out of the quote:

Are these data files, program installation files, both?
    Data files and software installer files from all the stuff I download from the web, including major apps. I keep all my "software" in one folder and the majority of my "data" generated in another.
    What is going to be your primary OS after Win7 is installed? How long are you going to keep the older OSes installed?
    I don't think Win7 will be my main squeeze, at least not for awhile. I still bank on XP and will probably continue to do so for some time.
    Should they be moved to a VM?
    I currently have Win98 and Win2K in VMs but as you can see, there have only been 6 threads total this year. I don't think I'm willing to relegate XP or Vista to a VM - way to early for that.
    Should these files be moved to a different HD and a new folder structure that may be easier to manage?
    Not if I continue to "rely" on XP for another year or two or ...
    Do you want to take the time to ferret out all the files/folders and deal with the permissions issue at one time? Is it easier to just deal with the issues as they pop up?
    That's why I think I'll dig around with the permissions thing and see how much of that "main drive" I can make accessible, as you just taught me to do with the TB folder.
    Is that enough? Ain't technology wonderful?
    Ain't that the truth! Thanks again, Joe!