Thread: Style Gallery

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

We have recently gone through a rebranding exercise, the upshot of which is that our correspondence templates all have a new look - ariel font by default and, although they still contain our firm's numbering styles, these have also been updated to ensure both the number and the text adopt ariel too.

The twist is that we had to retain our normal.dot which is all TNR by default, the reason being the volume of legal documents, both historic and present, that we have.

We have now reached another junction where the decision has been taken that all non-legal documentation (historic, present and future) should adopt the new look.

I want to provide our users with a macro to make this exercise relatively quick and painless, so rather than asking them to use the style gallery, the thinking is that adding the following macro to our macros list would be a good starting point:

Code:
    Sub nonlegal()

ActiveDocument.CopyStylesFromTemplate Template:= _
    		"C:\Program Files\McGrigors Office\Templates\Forms\non-legal documentation.dot"
    End Sub
    My concern is that, with existing documents, the attached template will still be our original normal.dot (i.e., all TNR etc). I am keen to avoid as many problems, both in the short AND long term, as possible so I'm seeking advice on the best course of action - should I also substitute the attached template with our "non-legal document.dot" template?

Many thanks in advance,

Violet

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd import the new styles (using Arial) into the old template(s) including Normal.dot.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Hans,

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, that's not possible...this is a really confusing one...

Basically our tnr normal.dot goes back some 10 years and all of our templates and documentation were/are based on this.

When the company recently decided to rebrand, they wanted to go with a new font without disrupting historic/current documentation.

Ergo, we took a copy of the existing normal.dot, updated it so that all of the styles (numbered and otherwise) reflected ariel, 10pt etc but kept the same names. Based on this, we created new letter, fax and memo templates and replaced our existing (tnr) letter, fax and memo templates with these new ones, but retained our original tnr normal.dot so that our other existing templates and various databases full of documents wouldn't be affected.

Since then, management have decided they would like a distinction between legal and non-legal documentation, so we've created a template called "non-legal documentation.dot" (basically a blank document that has ariel, 10pt etc) which is fine where users are creating new non-legal documentation. However, we have departments that have hundreds of historic non-legal documents (where, of course, the attached template is our original tnr normal.dot) who will now have to update these documents. I want to give them a macro that is basically the equivalent of going into the Style Gallery and choosing non-legal document.dot, however, I also think it might be sensible to make sure that the attached template is no longer our original tnr normal.dot.

Sorry, that's a bit of an epic tale and not a very straightforward one at that. I think the answer is probably yes, I should change the attached template too.

Thanks in advance!

Violet

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Unless the user turns on "Automatically update document styles", the new Arial-based styles should remain OK even if the template uses Times New Roman. But if you wish, you can attach the document to the new template:

ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate = "C:\Program Files\McGrigors Office\Templates\Forms\non-legal documentation.dot"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Hans, the testing I've done so far indicated that changing the attached template shouldn't be necessary but I think I'll do it to be on the safe side - I've already got the code in the macro actually so I'll just leave it there.

As ever, your advice is much appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of your day :-)

Violet