duffer

Outlook locks up (Outlook 2000)

Outlook using Microsoft Exchange Server locks up several times a day. This started when we changed ISPs. We now access internet via a box provided by ISP that dynamically assigns our IPs . Those of us using Exchange Server can't keep Outlook from locking up on us after running for a little while. The ISP states that there is no reason for their service to cause Outlook to lock up. The folks who run the Exchange Server can't detect any problems either.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook locks up (Outlook 2000)

where is the exchange server? local or accessed across the internet? where did you get your ip's from before?

what exactly is it doing? really locking up so you need to CAD it, or just feeezing for a few sec (or min) ?

it's most likely a tcp/ip issue.

duffer

Our exchange server is about 3000 miles away and accessed via internet. The ISP is local. Before, we used DSL with individually assigned IPs and each of us used personal firewalls for protection but had no problems. The problems now get worse throughout the course of the day. They start as longer and longer delays before Outlook will do anything when you select something new. After the application has been open for quite a while, the delays are interminable, [CAD] tells you Outlook is not responding, and you wind up closing the application and then reopening it to get it to work again. There's a different time delay depending on how long Outlook has been open, but I haven't bothered to put a stopwatch on it yet. My sense is that at the beginning of the work day, the delay would be measured in seconds. After an hour or two of being open, the delay might be measured in minutes. If you went to lunch and left it on unattended, 30 minutes wouldn't be enough time to have it respond. One co-worker gave up on Outlook and has no problems now that he uses Eudora.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I think it's issues with the router - it may be packet filtering or otherwise causing the delay. i'd suggest asking on the exchange newsgroups on the msnews server.

i'm thinking it's something along the lines of this, only worse:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mail-resources.com/koans/51899.htm>http://www.mail-resources.com/koans/51899.htm</A>