Lounger
    Thanks
    RANT:

Damn ribbon!

Everything I've read so far says we can't change anything and the only toolbar we get (Quick Access) won't float.

Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Anyone had any success in getting around this?

For example:

The alignment tools (previously on the drawing toolbar) won't float. So an action of aligning objects that used to be one click now takes three.

/RANT

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Good Luck, they have even taken away a lot of the "Right Clicks" that were always there when needed.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    RANT PART DEUX:

Giminy Christmas!!!

There's a 700-page book JUST on the stupid ribbon.

http://www.amazon.com/RibbonX-Customizing-.../dp/0470191112#

Thanks
    It has a few nice features from a developer perspective, but mostly it is just a royal PITA for people who use Excel a lot! We can but hope they will change things in the next version...
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='rory' post='776083' date='20-May-2009 08:14']It has a few nice features from a developer perspective, but mostly it is just a royal PITA for people who use Excel a lot! We can but hope they will change things in the next version...[/quote]

The Ribbon will become more pervasive with Office 2010. Outlook & other apps will become "ribbonized". It is possible that for Excel and any other app the Ribbon may be tweaked but it is not going away. See Microsoft Office 2010 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information & VERY preliminary screenshots.

BTW, The Microsoft Office 2010 IT Blog will be a continuing source for Microsoft propaganda about Office 2010.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    And the Ribbon has been included in a lot of the Windows 7 "Applets"

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='776091' date='20-May-2009 14:42']The Ribbon will become more pervasive with Office 2010. Outlook & other apps will become "ribbonized". It is possible that for Excel and any other app the Ribbon may be tweaked but it is not going away. See Microsoft Office 2010 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information & VERY preliminary screenshots.

BTW, The Microsoft Office 2010 IT Blog will be a continuing source for Microsoft propaganda about Office 2010.

Joe[/quote]

I was referring more to it becoming customisable by the typical user; I don't for one second believe it's going away!
    I'm not touching that 'propaganda' remark...
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If one was to go to the Link above about this 700 page book, and then have a look at the first few pages, on page 5 is one of the reasons for the change.

It states that do to the "Customization" by the user them menu was getting all screwed up. These first several pages are a eye opener.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='rory' post='776103' date='20-May-2009 09:10']I was referring more to it becoming customisable by the typical user; I don't for one second believe it's going away!
    I'm not touching that 'propaganda' remark... [/quote]

I'm not inferring any thing by "propaganda". Microsoft will stongly emphasize what they perceive to be the new features and functions that make a release desirable. They are not going to generally publicize the weaknesses, problems, and missing features. This is the same as every other vendor. It is still propaganda - see propaganda - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.

Joe
    Joe