Thanks

Smile

Just received a new phishing scam supposedly from Verizon. It said "there is a new webmail message" waiting for you and a link that brings you to a very legit Verizon looking email page, where it asks for your email address and password.
    I didn't go any further but I did note that the actual url was to angeldevas.tw. ( a Taiwanese location )

Being the good citizen I am, I went on line with my buddies at Verizon and reported the scam. The "tech" took some of my info and ( ho-hum ) said thanks. This was before I could even give him anything beyond the .tw info! When asked, he said oh, yes, please give us more details. "anything else?"

Such dedication is worthy of noting here for all to read, particularly Verizon customers.

After hanging up on him, I did a search on angeldevas.tw and it turns out to be a Taiwanese ISP with a user in Columbus, Ohio. name of Ecommerce.com.
    So... just a heads up for any Verizon users or any others that get something similar in their mailbox.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='775745' date='18-May-2009 13:09']Just received a new phishing scam supposedly from Verizon. It said "there is a new webmail message" waiting for you and a link that brings you to a very legit Verizon looking email page, where it asks for your email address and password.
    I didn't go any further but I did note that the actual url was to angeldevas.tw. ( a Taiwanese location )

Being the good citizen I am, I went on line with my buddies at Verizon and reported the scam. The "tech" took some of my info and ( ho-hum ) said thanks. This was before I could even give him anything beyond the .tw info! When asked, he said oh, yes, please give us more details. "anything else?"

Such dedication is worthy of noting here for all to read, particularly Verizon customers.

After hanging up on him, I did a search on angeldevas.tw and it turns out to be a Taiwanese ISP with a user in Columbus, Ohio. name of Ecommerce.com.
    So... just a heads up for any Verizon users or any others that get something similar in their mailbox.[/quote]
    Bob ,
    Thank you! Regards
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='775745' date='18-May-2009 14:09']Just received a new phishing scam supposedly from Verizon...[/quote]
    I meant to say yesterday and forgot that we all have to remember that it more than likely ain't the fault of whoever the email "seems" to be coming from. I get many, every day, pretending to be from all manner of companies and I ALWAYS do what you did, via my MailWasher program.

First I look for IP address in the header and look it up if I can. Then I check and naming of links as you did. Many of the spoofing emails I get have a .CN at the end of the links which is a dead giveaway that it didn't come from Microsoft, Windstream, Bank of America or whomever.

Spam and junk - the second scourge of the internet (the first being infections)...

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='776251' date='21-May-2009 05:42']I meant to say yesterday and forgot that we all have to remember that it more than likely ain't the fault of whoever the email "seems" to be coming from.[/quote]
    This was pretty obvious that it wasn't a Verizon email.
    The thing that ticked me off was the rather ho-hum attitude from the Verizon rep when I tried to report this.
    A lot of Verizon snail mail and even on line sites, preach that you should report these infractions to them so that their "security experts" can track down and stop these scams.
    So I do this and get that "thanks a lot fella" response. What else can I help you with today?

At least this was followed up by one of those "how did we do?" surveys. So I got a chance to fire a salvo off at them. Do they read them? Anyones guess!
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!