5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Office 2000 and I have an old database that was created in Access 97. I'm trying to convert the old database and Access 2000 will not try because of permissions. I've read an old message (http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=729361&hl=permission) and performed the change suggested there on the whole Access folder and that appeared to work fine. I also corrected another earlier mistake: I connected to the proper workgroup file (still in Access 97). On the final attempt I seemed to get past the earlier permissions problem and then a login dialog opened up and it didn't like anything I entered there!

This PC has only one account, it uses my name and has Adminsitrator privileges and it does have a passord that I use every time I boot up or wake it up. That login info did not satisfy Access' requirement.

Any ideas how to get past this?

Thanks,
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='BillWilson' post='775810' date='18-May-2009 20:02']I am using Office 2000 and I have an old database that was created in Access 97. I'm trying to convert the old database and Access 2000 will not try because of permissions. I've read an old message (http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=729361&hl=permission) and performed the change suggested there on the whole Access folder and that appeared to work fine. I also corrected another earlier mistake: I connected to the proper workgroup file (still in Access 97). On the final attempt I seemed to get past the earlier permissions problem and then a login dialog opened up and it didn't like anything I entered there!

This PC has only one account, it uses my name and has Adminsitrator privileges and it does have a passord that I use every time I boot up or wake it up. That login info did not satisfy Access' requirement.[/quote]

If this dialog happened when you tried to open the database, then there is a password on the database. If you don't know the password you can use a utility such as Access PassView v1.12 to discover it.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='775811' date='18-May-2009 21:06']If this dialog happened when you tried to open the database, then there is a password on the database. If you don't know the password you can use a utility such as Access PassView v1.12 to discover it.

Joe[/quote]

It is my own database that I developed and maintained for many years and it has never had a password associated with it! BTW, the dialog box has two fields, a user ID and a password and is titled "Login". I would think that a database with a password would just prompt for a password. I'll try the utility you suggested but I wanted to clarify the situation now.

Thanks,
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='BillWilson' post='775814' date='18-May-2009 20:28']It is my own database that I developed and maintained for many years and it has never had a password associated with it! BTW, the dialog box has two fields, a user ID and a password and is titled "Login". I would think that a database with a password would just prompt for a password. I'll try the utility you suggested but I wanted to clarify the situation now.[/quote]

Is the database stored on your local PC or a network PC/file share?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='775811' date='18-May-2009 21:06']If this dialog happened when you tried to open the database, then there is a password on the database. If you don't know the password you can use a utility such as Access PassView v1.12 to discover it.

Joe[/quote]
    The URL you supplied does not work so I looked on that site and found lots of password recovery utilities but none of them mentioned Access. Do I need to use one that is specific to Access database?

Thanks,
    Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you mention joining a workgroup, it looks like you're using user-level security where you have to login to the database with a username and password set in the workgroup (.mdw file), which are not the same as your Windows login name and password.

What happens if you create and join a new workgroup (.mdw file)? Can you get into the database without loggin in then?

This is an Access problem, not a Windows problem, so I'll move this topic to the Access forum.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='775831' date='19-May-2009 01:44']Since you mention joining a workgroup, it looks like you're using user-level security where you have to login to the database with a username and password set in the workgroup (.mdw file), which are not the same as your Windows login name and password.

What happens if you create and join a new workgroup (.mdw file)? Can you get into the database without loggin in then?

This is an Access problem, not a Windows problem, so I'll move this topic to the Access forum.[/quote]
    Hans, you are absolutely correct, that database does have security set up and I have to log into it! It has been so long since I opened it that I forgot that. I entered the correct info for the database and it was converted to Access 2000 without any problem.

Thanks for yours and the others help.

Bill