5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Link to NY Times - Reg may be required

We can put a 'pas-de-pub' sticker on our mailbox but I like the down-under idea. Also read the comments posted on the linked site - I particularly like Thomas' suggestion!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='775843' date='19-May-2009 05:39']Link to NY Times - Reg may be required

We can put a 'pas-de-pub' sticker on our mailbox but I like the down-under idea. Also read the comments posted on the linked site - I particularly like Thomas' suggestion![/quote]

You are right Bowlie, I love Thomas' suggestion regarding how to handle junk mail! I am going to start looking for junk mail with postage paid return enevelopes!

Reading that lead me to a couple of other interesting links. On the right hand side you will find an article talking about an eatery in New York called Shopsins. The website is kind of fun in and of its self but I also found the Menu amazing. I can't believe that this one shop has so many offerings! I really liked the Breakfast offerings on the second page. It made me very hungry!

Another find on this website is this real nostalgia piece, Modern Mechanix. I remember when I first found this magazine back in the early 60's along with Popular Science. I almost gave up comics for these. I got a part time job instead so I could afford them all. These and everything I could find by Asimov and Heinlein were what kept me busy for most of my formative years.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

Thanks
    [quote name='MickeyMouse' post='775872' date='19-May-2009 09:25']You are right Bowlie, I love Thomas' suggestion regarding how to handle junk mail! I am going to start looking for junk mail with postage paid return enevelopes![/quote]

Been doing that for years now.
    I first saw it on the "60 minutes" TV show suggested by Andy Rooney.
    He also said that he occasionaly takes the junk offer from one mailing and returns it to a different junk mailer. He wonders if that helps them to add to their mailing list?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I live in a small village about 10 kms out of town. None of us get any junk mail, not only because it is too far for the 'walkers' but because no-one has a mail box. There is simply no mail delivery, so no need.

Mind you, it is always amusing to watch new folk to the village erect a mail box in their early days. No-one tells them, and it eventually dawns on them.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='775843' date='19-May-2009 06:39']We can put a 'pas-de-pub' sticker on our mailbox ...[/quote]
    I've been stuffing junk into local mailings for years. I like to get my money's worth, if even if it's someone else's money. I'm funny like that.
    I bring ALL the junk mail upstairs, sort it carefully, classify it as
    {a} seal and use prepaid envelope, stack in Outbox
    {b} shred (stuff with my name on it), stack shreddies in vermicomposter
    {c} all other stuff, including plastic-wrapped flyers, stack in Outbox
    When I was ever-so-tiny, parents and teachers used to say to me "But Christopher, what if everyone did that?".
    Now I wonder, "What if everyone dumped the junk mail right back into the letter-box?".
    Sure, the postie gets an extra load, but if a city of 2.5 Million people did it, the P.O. would have to take notice.
    Where are my parents and teachers now that I need them?

P.S. Trying not to introduce a junk-pirate item, I answer all phone calls, including telemarketers.
    When they ask to speak to "Mister or Missus (pause), Grieveous? please" I say "I'll go see if Missus Grievous is available".
    She isn't, hasn't been for twenty years, and between you and I, I never want to see here again, but I'm being honest.
    I have a stack of food in the 'fridge, books by the armchair, and waddyaknow? It's lunchtime, and I'll not be plagued by calls until I replace the receiver.

Sometimes, when I'm all alone in the apartment, I say "OK, hold on a minute", then call in a loud voice "Chri-is! It's for YOU-OU", then repeat into the mouthpiece "OK, hold on a minute".
    It's tough, I know, on the 18-year old living at home, working in a sweatshop, trying to make a few bucks, but just think, "What if everyone did that?".

Only a month or two ago, I got a recorded message from a telemarketer wanted to re-roof my driveway, or something. I called back and left my number. (I live on the 4th floor)
    Sure enuf, I got a call back, yes I'd be interested in having someone come around, yes I'm in Toronto, Yes I'm ...."
    Finally he said "What's a good time to come", I said "Nine a.m. Friday". I had nothing marked in my diary, and there's usually some coffee left from my 4 a.m. brew-up.
    "Oh no, sez he, we don't start work until 11 a.m.
    I was sorry I'd bothered him ... I was rather looking forward to his visit.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='775977' date='19-May-2009 17:48']... no-one has a mail box.[/quote]
    [innocent]So, Johbot, what's your PO box number & zip code?[/innocent]

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='775985' date='20-May-2009 07:50']I'm funny like that.[/quote]

You want me to tell you ... what??

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='775843' date='19-May-2009 02:39'][/quote]
    Speaking of Australian ingenuity: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090520/wl_as..._20090520060904

I just hope the drill bit came out of the autoclave.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='776112' date='20-May-2009 14:35']I just hope the drill bit came out of the autoclave.[/quote]Even if it didn't the alternative was much worse.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='776112' date='20-May-2009 10:35']I just hope the drill bit came out of the autoclave.[/quote]
    Wow! That's all I can think of to say about that!

When my wife had what the neurosurgeon called a "burr hole" procedure because she had a subdural hematoma I never thought to ask what kind of drill he was gonna use...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='776112' date='20-May-2009 16:35']Speaking of Australian ingenuity: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090520/wl_as..._20090520060904

I just hope the drill bit came out of the autoclave.[/quote]
    Some things don’t change that much over the years in the surgery discipline. And I agree with Bowlie. But still, it was somehow courageous under the circumstances.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='776116' date='20-May-2009 07:49']never thought to ask what kind of drill he was gonna use[/quote]
    Which reminds me that when one of our group stepped on a sea urchin in Cozumel, the doc we took him into had all his medical instruments in a Sears rollaway tool cabinet (like this). However, none of the instruments were branded DeWalt. It was especially surreal for the victim, as his dad was an auto mechanic and they gave him morphine for the pain. After the shot he kept staring at the tool cabinet wondering what the heck was going on.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='775977' date='19-May-2009 16:48']I live in a small village about 10 kms out of town. None of us get any junk mail, not only because it is too far for the 'walkers' but because no-one has a mail box. There is simply no mail delivery, so no need.

Mind you, it is always amusing to watch new folk to the village erect a mail box in their early days. No-one tells them, and it eventually dawns on them.[/quote]

Now, are you saying that you NEVER get ANY mail? Ever?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='776143' date='21-May-2009 02:54']Now, are you saying that you NEVER get ANY mail? Ever? [/quote]
    Some days I wish it was so! To get mail, we have a PO box in town. One of us (from my place) is in town each day for some reason and collect mail and newspaper and smoko and the like.

The postal people offered us a mail delivery service. Their offer was they would deliver twice a week. Not surprisingly, no-one took them up on that offer.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='776184' date='21-May-2009 06:49']we have a PO box in town.[/quote]
    I found that even our sacred PO box was not immune to junk mail. The %^&* Post Office jam it up with stuff companies pay them to distribute in such manner! I always stick it straight into the normal public post box, ready for them to sort out for delivery . If I see other PO Box users complaining of the same garbage, I encourage them to follow my lead and spread the word. Maybe one day they'll get the hint that people don't want rubbish in a facility that they pay handsomely for!

Alan