Thanks
    I am working on a document where a lot of the text has a right indent of -0.58 cm. I tried to do a find and replace to replace any right indent of -0.58 cm with a right indent of zero. But although I put -0.58 cm in the paragraph formatting dialog accessed from the format button in the find and replace dialog, when I have set it to that figure, it shows up as Format 0 ch under the Find what field. It shows the same under the Replace with field, and nothing gets changed.

Why?

I am reluctant to select the whole document and change the right indent to zero throughout, because the original author seems to have used quite a lot of direct formatting that I don't want to spoil. In the time I have, I can't undertake a more lengthy sort out of the formatting peculiarities of this document - suffice it to say that I would not have done it this way!

Ian

Lounger
    Thanks
    I get the same weird Right 0 ch thing. but if I type nothing in the Find what and just add the right indent paragraph formnatting from the format menu, then don't touch the replace with box at all, the right indent is replaced with no indent as desired.

Thanks
    [quote name='Timolot' post='775879' date='19-May-2009 15:18']I get the same weird Right 0 ch thing. but if I type nothing in the Find what and just add the right indent paragraph formnatting from the format menu, then don't touch the replace with box at all, the right indent is replaced with no indent as desired.[/quote]
    Strange. That doesn't work for me. I still get 0 ch shown under the Find what box, and when I try to Replace All, it reports that it has made 0 replacements and nothing has actually changed in the document.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The units are a tricky thing as there may be some rounding happening to the measurements and 0.58cm may not actually be exactly 0.58cm. Try a macro like this which looks for any paragraphs with an outdent bigger than about half a cm (Word uses Points as its internal unit of measure) and resets it to zero
    Code:
    Sub temp()
      Dim aPara As Paragraph
      For Each aPara In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs
    	If aPara.LeftIndent < -15 Then
    	  aPara.LeftIndent = 0
    	End If
      Next aPara
    End Sub
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia