5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello
    Have IE + Firefox + CookieWall + Ccleaner. If I want to accept/block a Cookie, do I have to do it in each of these programs?

Thank you.

Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='775883' date='19-May-2009 16:02']Hello
    Have IE + Firefox + CookieWall + Ccleaner. If I want to accept/block a Cookie, do I have to do it in each of these programs?

Thank you.[/quote]
    As far as I know, yes. They are different programs and will store the information on blocked/allowed sites separately.

Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='775883' date='19-May-2009 08:02']Have IE + Firefox + CookieWall + Ccleaner. If I want to accept/block a Cookie, do I have to do it in each of these programs?[/quote]
    IE and Firefox keep their own lists, if you customize the way they handle cookies. I don't think CCleaner works in real time; I think it can remove cookies upon request after they have been stored by a browser. I'm not familiar with CookieWall, but if it monitors web traffic in real time, it might be a central point of control for cookies that you could use instead of IE and Firefox's cookie features.

Some sites do not work well without their cookies, so solving site problems may be more difficult if you add more layers of blocking and cleaning.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both.

"...if it monitors web traffic in real time, it might be a central point of control for cookies that you could use instead of IE and Firefox's cookie features."

That's what I was hoping. Not sure how to monitor this, however. Will work on it.

Appreciate your responses.

Acer

Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='776259' date='21-May-2009 09:08']Thank you both.

"...if it monitors web traffic in real time, it might be a central point of control for cookies that you could use instead of IE and Firefox's cookie features."

That's what I was hoping. Not sure how to monitor this, however. Will work on it.

Appreciate your responses.

Acer[/quote]

To quote the CookieWall site: CookieWall is currently only compatible with Microsoft Internet Explorer or derived versions (such as NeoPlanet); Netscape support should be available in the near future.

Presumably this also excludes FireFox.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='776259' date='21-May-2009 08:08']"...if it monitors web traffic in real time, it might be a central point of control for cookies that you could use instead of IE and Firefox's cookie features."[/quote]

Cookies are really rather benign. In addition, they are important to a site recognizing you from visit to visit. What are you really trying to accomplish?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I agree with Joe. I accept all cookies except those from third parties.
    Regards,
    PaulB

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='776277' date='21-May-2009 12:04']To quote the CookieWall site: CookieWall is currently only compatible with Microsoft Internet Explorer or derived versions (such as NeoPlanet); Netscape support should be available in the near future.

Presumably this also excludes FireFox.[/quote]

Thank you for this info.

Acer

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='776279' date='21-May-2009 12:07']Cookies are really rather benign. In addition, they are important to a site recognizing you from visit to visit. What are you really trying to accomplish?

Joe[/quote]

Thanks, Joe. I know they're timesavers for site recognition. I just want a leaner,cleaner PC, and to know "who" is looking after me, as it were.

Acer

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='776349' date='21-May-2009 16:56']Thanks, Joe. I know they're timesavers for site recognition. I just want a leaner,cleaner PC, and to know "who" is looking after me, as it were.[/quote]

You may have a somewhat leaner PC but these are very small text files. I assume that every site I visit puts a cookie on my PC. If I am concerned about a site I'll either look at the cookies directly with IE or use a cleaner tool such as CCleaner - Home (or others) and decide about keeping it. FWIW, I can't tell you the last time I did this. I really don't care anymore. I'm more likely to just delete all the cookies. IMO, it is not worth the time & effort.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='776349' date='21-May-2009 14:56']Thanks, Joe. I know they're timesavers for site recognition. I just want a leaner,cleaner PC, and to know "who" is looking after me, as it were.[/quote]
    I generally keep cookies only for the current session, unless I really want to be recognized automatically. I know I'm losing the benefits of better targeted advertising by thwarting behavioral tracking, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.