New Lounger
    Thanks
    Several days ago my PC quit printing. Had been working great, then nothing. Will not print from any application--Notepad, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Photoshop, Webpage or email. Rarely get a helpful error message, but on occasion I have gotten:

"Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I have checked out this difficulty, but all suggestions say one must open the Registry -- something this mere mortal is loath to do.

Any suggestions?

Thomas

PS: The following have been varified as either working or correct: IP address for printer, Jet Direct Card, router, cables.

PPS: Setup: hp 2100TN printer networked to a LinkSys router. Router is connected to a PC and a Mac. Mac prints fine. Both PC and Mac can access Internet and email.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Which version of Windows are you using?

Thanks
    [quote name='lucca' post='775893' date='19-May-2009 16:57']Several days ago my PC quit printing. Had been working great, then nothing. Will not print from any application--Notepad, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Photoshop, Webpage or email. Rarely get a helpful error message, but on occasion I have gotten:

"Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I have checked out this difficulty, but all suggestions say one must open the Registry -- something this mere mortal is loath to do.

Any suggestions?

Thomas

PS: The following have been varified as either working or correct: IP address for printer, Jet Direct Card, router, cables.

PPS: Setup: hp 2100TN printer networked to a LinkSys router. Router is connected to a PC and a Mac. Mac prints fine. Both PC and Mac can access Internet and email.[/quote]
    Have you tried going back to a restore point from before the problem started? (If that doesn't work you can undo it again.)

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hans,

"Which version of Windows are you using? "

Sorry, it is XP.

Ian,

"Have you tried going back to a restore point from before the problem started? (If that doesn't work you can undo it again.)"

Ian, yes I have tried that. When I do and pick a date, I get a message something like - Sorry, but the computer can not restore. When I pick other dates closer and closer to the problem date I get teh same message.

Lucca

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I have moved this topic to the Windows XP forum since it wasn't specific to Word (where you posted it).

If you can't perform a system restore, try disabling your antivirus program temporarily. Don't forget to turn it back on!

BTW, editing the registry is not difficult, nor dangerous as long as you're careful.

Thanks
    [quote name='lucca' post='775967' date='19-May-2009 20:44']Hans,

"Which version of Windows are you using? "

Sorry, it is XP.

Ian,

"Have you tried going back to a restore point from before the problem started? (If that doesn't work you can undo it again.)"

Ian, yes I have tried that. When I do and pick a date, I get a message something like - Sorry, but the computer can not restore. When I pick other dates closer and closer to the problem date I get teh same message.

Lucca[/quote]
    Also have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer?

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hans,

I have just tried again to do a system restore -- made certain my anti-virsu was shut shutdown -- same results -- can't restore it, no changes made. The earliest date it gives as allowing system restore for my machine is Mat 4th -- trying to restore failed for that date and tried also for May 6th and it failed. Any date after May 4th won't help as problem started either late May 4th or on May 5th.

Ian,

"Also have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer?"

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer from the HP CD. Also the other -- what I call typicals -- powering down and starting restarting up the computer and the printer, checking cables, jet direct card, router, making certain the printer itself is functioning, and trying the system restore (see above), defraging ...

Surfing the net I have a bit of information that whit XP the spooler can be a problem??

For your interest and help, thank you,

Lucca

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='lucca' post='775978' date='19-May-2009 15:52']Hans,

I have just tried again to do a system restore -- made certain my anti-virsu was shut shutdown -- same results -- can't restore it, no changes made. The earliest date it gives as allowing system restore for my machine is Mat 4th -- trying to restore failed for that date and tried also for May 6th and it failed. Any date after May 4th won't help as problem started either late May 4th or on May 5th.

Ian,

"Also have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer?"

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer from the HP CD. Also the other -- what I call typicals -- powering down and starting restarting up the computer and the printer, checking cables, jet direct card, router, making certain the printer itself is functioning, and trying the system restore (see above), defraging ...

Surfing the net I have a bit of information that whit XP the spooler can be a problem??

For your interest and help, thank you,

Lucca[/quote]

Try putting the following in a .bat file (name is your choice). Then run the .bat file to clear out any spooler files.

@echo off
    echo.
    echo Purging the print queue . . .
    net stop Spooler
    echo Deleting all print jobs . . .
    ping localhost -n 4 > nul
    del /q %SystemRoot%\system32\spool\printers\*.*
    net start Spooler
    echo Done!

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

Does it matter to where the .bat file is saved? I saved it to the Applications folder (Documents and Settings > Owner > Applications Data). No joy. Have since Run SFC/SCANNOW.

Restarted and not joy either.

Have activated an HP Inkjet which is connected directly to the HP Computer and it does print. But the laser printer does not. Makes me wonder if it is not a network problem, yet all the network pieces functio9n in all the other ways they should --- cables, router, jet direct card in the printer, ports, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Lucca

[quote name='joeperez' post='775981' date='19-May-2009 13:59']Try putting the following in a .bat file (name is your choice). Then run the .bat file to clear out any spooler files.

@echo off
    echo.
    echo Purging the print queue . . .
    net stop Spooler
    echo Deleting all print jobs . . .
    del /q %SystemRoot%\system32\spool\printers\*.*
    net start Spooler
    echo Done!

Joe[/quote]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In the registry entry for drivers (OS XP):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers

I have: Drivers > Version-2 and Version-3 folders.

Both Version-2 and Version-3 have files for my HP 2100 printer.

Should I have both a Version-2 and a Version-3 folder? I.e., or should I have only one Version-x folder?

Lucca

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='lucca' post='776448' date='22-May-2009 09:57']In the registry entry for drivers (OS XP):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers
    I have: Drivers > Version-2 and Version-3 folders.
    Both Version-2 and Version-3 have files for my HP 2100 printer.
    Should I have both a Version-2 and a Version-3 folder? I.e., or should I have only one Version-x folder?[/quote]

Often times in XP when you update print drivers the old drivers are not actually deleted. Also, if you have more than one device from the same vendor you might see old stuff left over if drivers for device-a are update but drivers for device-b are not.

Most of the time having more than one set of folders is not an issue. The operating system keeps it all straight. If it was my system I'd probably just leave them alone.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='lucca' post='776448' date='22-May-2009 09:57']Should I have both a Version-2 and a Version-3 folder? I.e., or should I have only one Version-x folder?[/quote]

Microsoft has posted an automated fix for resetting the print spooler. See Microsoft Fix it BLOG : Fix Print Spooler.

Joe
    Joe