Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI:
    I get this error on a RmDir command in Word2000 VBA[pre]RmDir strTest[/pre]where from the debug window
    Code:
    ?"[" & strtest & "]"
    [\\bbb\bbb80\BBBMusic\Now That's What I Call Music!, Vol. 4]
    and yes, the folder does exists (and it is empty, and it was found milliseconds ago using File System Object, and yes, Windows Explorer reports it faithfully.

My guess is that the RMDir implementation has not kept apace with Windows XP SP3 standards, although I also think that file/folder naming conventions haven't changed for the past 20 years.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I created a folder named "Now That's What I Call Music!, Vol. 4" (without the quotes), and I could delete it using RmDir without problems. So apparently it's not the name that causes RmDir to fail.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='776016' date='19-May-2009 21:03']I created a folder named "Now That's What I Call Music!, Vol. 4" ...[/quote]
    Why didn't I think of that?
    Thanks, Hans.
    I repeated your experiment locally on the laptop, and across the LAN on the Big Beige Box (that being a reproduction of the original failure).
    In both cases I was able to RmDir the folder.
    Since it worked (manually) to day and failed yesterday, I'm reduced to figuring that it was most likely some form of timing error, but I'm the only one here, so it couldn't be an error brought about by someone else trying to access the file.
    (later)
    So I re-ran the job, and it baulked again.
    This is the ONLY empty folder that fails to delete, so it's not timing.
    Hmmmm
    (goes off on morning bike-ride.....)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='776049' date='20-May-2009 06:16']So I re-ran the job, and it baulked again.
    This is the ONLY empty folder that fails to delete, so it's not timing.
    Hmmmm
    (goes off on morning bike-ride.....)[/quote]

Hi Chris

FWIW I would suspect that some application has not properly released the folder when it was done with it.
    Regards
    Don

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wdwells' post='776060' date='20-May-2009 08:26']... suspect that some application has not properly released the folder ...[/quote]
    Good thought, Don, and Thanks,
    but no, the problem has persisted through several reboots of both machines.

Further, all the other (six?) folders which contained no folders or files were successfully deleted.

The Big Beige Box, which is being cleaned up, is continually playing music from "\\Bbb\bbb80\Music", my main repository of music, while I am working away on a different tree, "\\Bbb\bbb80\BBBMusic". WinAmp is trawling through the regular "Music", I am working on "BBBMusic".

(later)
    Now that's what I call odd!
    I though to check the properties, and sure enough I see that Read-Only is checked on. Of course by now I've deleted the other (six?) empty folders, so I don't know what they were set to.
    From the Laptop, staring across the network to the BigBeigeBox, I can't UN-set those attributes.
    On the BBB I can tap the delete key and the folder is gone.

So, it remains a mystery, but I am moving on, for now.
    I might, time permitting, drag the entire 20GB folder tree back in place and rerun the job.
    Attached Images Attached Images