New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a retail version of XP without any service packs. When I do a fresh installation...do I need to install each of the 3 service packs or just SP3?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='Danstev1' post='776019' date='19-May-2009 20:02']I have a retail version of XP without any service packs. When I do a fresh installation...do I need to install each of the 3 service packs or just SP3?[/quote]

I believe you have to have at least SP-1 installed. IIRC, there were some chagnes made with SP-1 that are assumed to be installed by later service packs. You do NOT have to install SP-2. Normally, I recommend using the full service pack download - Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers. Don't be put off by the name. It is just the full service pack. Once you download it you can burn it to a CD so you'll have it in case you ever need it again.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='776023' date='20-May-2009 02:05']I believe you have to have at least SP-1 installed. IIRC, there were some chagnes made with SP-1 that are assumed to be installed by later service packs. You do NOT have to install SP-2. Normally, I recommend using the full service pack download - Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers. Don't be put off by the name. It is just the full service pack. Once you download it you can burn it to a CD so you'll have it in case you ever need it again.

Joe[/quote]
    Joe,
    To make sure I understand...I need to install SP1 & SP3 only...SP2 is not necessary...am I correct?

Thank you,

Dan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Danstev1' post='776076' date='20-May-2009 08:07']To make sure I understand...I need to install SP1 & SP3 only...SP2 is not necessary...am I correct?[/quote]
    Sheesh, I hate to contradict what Joe said, but I saw he wasn't online and since I wasn't sure about it either, I went to this MS site: Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview.

It says, not only in the article but the PDF file linked to, that SP3 contains ALL previous XP updates. I'm not sure whether you have to install SP1 so you'd better let Joe come back online and comment further.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='776080' date='20-May-2009 08:08']Sheesh, I hate to contradict what Joe said, but I saw he wasn't online and since I wasn't sure about it either, I went to this MS site: Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview.

It says, not only in the article but the PDF file linked to, that SP3 contains ALL previous XP updates. I'm not sure whether you have to install SP1 so you'd better let Joe come back online and comment further.[/quote]

From the "Deploying Windows XP SP3" section of the Overview:

You can run the SP3 update package on any edition of Windows XP SP1 or SP2. For example, you can run the SP3 update package on a computer running the Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP1. The exceptions are Embedded editions for XP

I take that to mean you have to have at least SP-1 installed.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='776102' date='20-May-2009 10:09']From the "Deploying Windows XP SP3" section of the Overview[/quote]
    I'm sure you're right, Joe and it's better to do it than have a failure. I was just taken in by not only the statement in the PDF and web site that SP3 includes all previous... etc., but by the list in this clip from that same site:

System Requirements
    • Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP; Windows XP Home Edition ; Windows XP Home Edition N; Windows XP Media Center Edition; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Professional N; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Starter Edition; Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    I defer to your experience and sorry for the confusion.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='776111' date='20-May-2009 09:34']I'm sure you're right, Joe and it's better to do it than have a failure. I was just taken in by not only the statement in the PDF and web site that SP3 includes all previous... etc., but by the list in this clip from that same site:

System Requirements
    • Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP; Windows XP Home Edition ; Windows XP Home Edition N; Windows XP Media Center Edition; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Professional N; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Starter Edition; Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    I defer to your experience and sorry for the confusion.[/quote]

Not a problem. I saw the System Requirements also. That left me somewhat confused as I was pretty sure that I'd seen somewhere that you had to have at least SP-1 isntalled.

Just now, I found the following at What Is Service Pack 3?:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is a free update for Windows XP. SP3 includes all previously released Windows XP updates, including security updates, hotfixes, and select out-of-band releases. To install SP3, either Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) or Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) must already be installed.

That seems pretty definitive.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Danstev1' post='776076' date='20-May-2009 07:07']To make sure I understand...I need to install SP1 & SP3 only...SP2 is not necessary...am I correct?[/quote]

You are correct. You must have at SP1 installed to install SP3. SP2 is not necessary as SP3 contains all the fixes that SP2 has.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='776144' date='20-May-2009 18:56']You are correct. You must have at SP1 installed to install SP3. SP2 is not necessary as SP3 contains all the fixes that SP2 has.[/quote]
    I agree with you Joe, and there was a bit of discussion at the time, when SP3 came (discussion here means journalists etc. as Paul Thurrott, Ed Bott (I think) etc. wrote a little about it, different installation scenarios/slipstreams etc.). And yes, MSFT says you'll need at least SP1.

As for System Requirements in general; mentioned for, more or less, every type of file that you can download at MSFT Download Center; I don't trust them all the time.

It sometimes look like someone has been trying to remember and write down all editions and service pack levels they think need it, and just for clarity they add some extra (Windows XP - as well as all its editions, I know: Pro might need what Home doesn’t, but it sometimes looks a little impromptu). There is no consistent pattern either. I usually, for smaller updates, follow the KB or AU/WU/MU, or in case of SPs also look at, as already mentioned their release notes or other papers.

I don't remember exactly when, but the thing with "at least SP1" could be due to changes in Windows Installer et al. In the early days of XP, installing and removing updates could sometimes be a daunting experience. Later on the branching of updates etc. made it easier, I think.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='776155' date='20-May-2009 12:54']I agree with you Joe, and there was a bit of discussion at the time, when SP3 came (discussion here means journalists etc. as Paul Thurrott, Ed Bott (I think) etc. wrote a little about it, different installation scenarios/slipstreams etc.). And yes, MSFT says you'll need at least SP1.

As for System Requirements in general; mentioned for, more or less, every type of file that you can download at MSFT Download Center; I don't trust them all the time.

It sometimes look like someone has been trying to remember and write down all editions and service pack levels they think need it, and just for clarity they add some extra (Windows XP - as well as all its editions, I know: Pro might need what Home doesn't, but it sometimes looks a little impromptu). There is no consistent pattern either. I usually, for smaller updates, follow the KB or AU/WU/MU, or in case of SPs also look at, as already mentioned their release notes or other papers.

I don't remember exactly when, but the thing with "at least SP1" could be due to changes in Windows Installer et al. In the early days of XP, installing and removing updates could sometimes be a daunting experience. Later on the branching of updates etc. made it easier, I think.[/quote]

I believe you are correct about SP-1 and the Windows Installer. I don't remember the version but there wa a major release of the Installer that corrected many issues. That major release was what was installed with SP-1. SP-2 & SP-3 take advantage of the Installer fixes & features introduced in that majr release. So, SP-2 & SP-3 require that the "good" version of Installer be on the sytem already.

I realize that outside of the USA quite a few people have to deal with download limits. Fortunately, I don't. And since I end up installing service packs on multiple PCs away from work I just download the "network" package once and burn it to a CD. That way I eliminate any AU/WU/MU detection issues that seem to follow with each SP. I just seems to work better for me.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='776173' date='20-May-2009 21:56']I realize that outside of the USA quite a few people have to deal with download limits. Fortunately, I don't. And since I end up installing service packs on multiple PCs away from work I just download the "network" package once and burn it to a CD. That way I eliminate any AU/WU/MU detection issues that seem to follow with each SP.[/quote]
    Yes. The "AU/WU/MU" detection: I use it, as I said, for smaller updates, in combination with what I read in MSFT email bulletin summaries or the KB; and most of the time I d/l the updates outside of AU/WU/MU.

In the case of SP3 I downloaded the complete ISO and update CAB. We don't have download limits/caps here in Sweden AFAIK (only on "mobile Internet", using laptops etc.). I think it's a different matter in for example the UK. Previously it happened that I ordered a SP CD from MSFT, but this time they wanted a little $ in return, so, a d/l.

(Windows Installer 3.0, which was one major update, came in September 2004 and was included in SP2, and I knew this when I wrote the above post. I can't remember the other changes, and it isn't easy to find anyone who knows why installation req. is SP1, but I still think it could have something to do with the installer and its predecessor; the Gold version was quite "pure".