Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a flash drive which was given out to the staff members of the local school district as a little appreciation gift. It has no identifying marks on it to indicate who makes it or where it was made - or even the G size. No information of any kind on it whatsoever.
    I don't know enough about these gadgets and how they work to know if there is any risk in plugging it into my computer.
    Any ideas, anybody?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DeeJay' post='776029' date='20-May-2009 06:20']I have a flash drive which was given out to the staff members of the local school district as a little appreciation gift.
    [snip]
    I don't know enough about these gadgets and how they work to know if there is any risk in plugging it into my computer.
    Any ideas, anybody?[/quote]
    Do you have an anti-virus program with updated definitions?
    Do you have some kind of "anti-spyware" program, either as separate software or included in the aforementioned anti-virus program?

If yes, and the PC you are using is up to date with its OS updates, go ahead if you like.

If you want to be sure that nothing "autoruns" from the flash drive; hold down the Shift key while you plug in the drive.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='776030' date='20-May-2009 06:03']Do you have an anti-virus program with updated definitions?
    Do you have some kind of "anti-spyware" program, either as separate software or included in the aforementioned anti-virus program?

If yes, and the PC you are using is up to date with its OS updates, go ahead if you like.

If you want to be sure that nothing "autoruns" from the flash drive; hold down the Shift key while you plug in the drive.[/quote]

Yes, I do have an up to date antivirus and anti spyware program as well as current OS updates. So I could scan the drive once it is inserted, correct?

Now about holding down the "Shift" key while plugging in the drive - if there is an "autorun" program of some kind on the flash drive, would it show up on the computer screen in the drive's file frame? Or when or how do I know that I am safe from the possibility of this type of thing being on the flash drive?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DeeJay' post='776520' date='23-May-2009 00:01']Or when or how do I know that I am safe from the possibility of this type of thing being on the flash drive?[/quote]

Just format the drive and it will be fine.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DeeJay' post='776520' date='22-May-2009 19:01']Yes ... <snip>[/quote]
    Sorry, but I have to ask. Is there some reason you're using such large type in your posts? I only ask in case it's an "accident" and possibly unnecessary. If there is some "privacy" reason, pardon my asking, please.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='776709' date='24-May-2009 16:18']Sorry, but I have to ask. Is there some reason you're using such large type in your posts? I only ask in case it's an "accident" and possibly unnecessary. If there is some "privacy" reason, pardon my asking, please.[/quote]

I guess I like the bigger type better because my eyes aren't as good as they used to be so it's a bit easier to see. But really, I can see the smaller type fine too - just a bit more of an eyestrain. But if it's better for Wood's Lounge to have the smaller type posts, I'll be glad to do that in the future.

Meantime, thanks for your answers here regarding the flash drive. It's much appreciated.
    Dee Jay

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='DeeJay' post='776934' date='25-May-2009 21:12']I guess I like the bigger type better because my eyes aren't as good as they used to be so it's a bit easier to see. But really, I can see the smaller type fine too - just a bit more of an eyestrain. But if it's better for Wood's Lounge to have the smaller type posts, I'll be glad to do that in the future.

Meantime, thanks for your answers here regarding the flash drive. It's much appreciated.
    Dee Jay[/quote]

If the larger type point is better for you go for it.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DeeJay' post='776934' date='25-May-2009 22:12']I guess I like the bigger type better because my eyes aren't as good as they used to be so it's a bit easier to see.[/quote]
    I agree with Joe. Please continue to make the large type your choice if it helps you. The real reason I asked is that sometimes folks do things without intention or by accident. Clearly, you did it for a reason, so I apologize again!

Good Lounging To Ya!

Thanks
    [quote name='DeeJay' post='776934' date='25-May-2009 19:12']I guess I like the bigger type better because my eyes aren't as good as they used to be so it's a bit easier to see.[/quote]
    All the major browsers now have a zoom feature, which also would help with reading the text posted by others. Sometimes the page layout may get a bit distorted, but at least you can read it.