Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using MS Outlook for getting emails for several years. It has recently become more and more unhappy and unreliable - prone to shut down - "serious error" - at the drop of a hat.
    I regularly archive because someone said this was the right thing to do - but I do tend to keep emails rather than ditch them. When I start my pc and it has booted - it then takes about three minutes for MS Outlook to open up - sometimes it just doesn't open and I have to start again. Is there a simple fix for this.
    I know I can open up a new version of MSO - but then I'd not have my address book. I've been looking at Mozilla Thunderbird - seems good - but again there is the problem of transferring over the data.
    Suggestions welcome
    Whealie

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='whealie' post='776087' date='20-May-2009 08:30']I have been using MS Outlook for getting emails for several years. It has recently become more and more unhappy and unreliable - prone to shut down - "serious error" - at the drop of a hat.
    I regularly archive because someone said this was the right thing to do - but I do tend to keep emails rather than ditch them. When I start my pc and it has booted - it then takes about three minutes for MS Outlook to open up - sometimes it just doesn't open and I have to start again. Is there a simple fix for this.
    I know I can open up a new version of MSO - but then I'd not have my address book. I've been looking at Mozilla Thunderbird - seems good - but again there is the problem of transferring over the data.
    Suggestions welcome
    Whealie[/quote]

1.) What version of Outlook?
    2.) What Outlook/Office service pack is installed?
    3.) Is Outlook up-to-date with pahces?
    4.) You mentioned archiving. Do you mean you use Outlook's Autoarchive feature?
    5.) How large is your PST file?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='776095' date='20-May-2009 14:53']1.) What version of Outlook?
    2.) What Outlook/Office service pack is installed?
    3.) Is Outlook up-to-date with pahces?
    4.) You mentioned archiving. Do you mean you use Outlook's Autoarchive feature?
    5.) How large is your PST file?

Joe[/quote]

Hi Joe, thanks for getting involved.
    I'm running Office 2000 - does that tell you what you need to know about MSO?
    I do install all the service packs so should be up to date (pack 3 isn't it?
    Ditto - the pc is set to collect and install updates. I'm happy to double check all this but would need to know the procedure!
    Yes - the Auto archive procedure
    How do I check the size of this file please?

Generally speaking MSO goes into 'not responding' mode at the drop of a hat.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='whealie' post='776255' date='21-May-2009 05:33']I'm running Office 2000 - does that tell you what you need to know about MSO?
    I do install all the service packs so should be up to date (pack 3 isn't it?
    Ditto - the pc is set to collect and install updates. I'm happy to double check all this but would need to know the procedure!
    Yes - the Auto archive procedure
    How do I check the size of this file please?

Generally speaking MSO goes into 'not responding' mode at the drop of a hat.[/quote]

Unless you upgraded Outlook separately you are running Outlook 2000. When Outlook is running, you can tell for sure by going to Help | About.

See How to manage personal folders files in Outlook (IMO) for information. You can use Windows Explorer to see the size of the file - I don't have access to Outlook 2000 so I'm not sure if you can see the size in Outlook as you can in later versions.

You might want to try compacting the PST file manually. See the article above or How to compact PST files in Outlook 2000 for instructions.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='776261' date='21-May-2009 14:24']Unless you upgraded Outlook separately you are running Outlook 2000. When Outlook is running, you can tell for sure by going to Help | About.

See How to manage personal folders files in Outlook (IMO) for information. You can use Windows Explorer to see the size of the file - I don't have access to Outlook 2000 so I'm not sure if you can see the size in Outlook as you can in later versions.

You might want to try compacting the PST file manually. See the article above or How to compact PST files in Outlook 2000 for instructions.

Joe[/quote]

Yep, Joe it is MSO 2000

I'm not clear about para 2 in your reply. I went into Explorer but cannot see MSO anywhere - tried MS Office but still no joy - a clue please!?

para 3 Are you suggesting that compacting these files is the answer. I looked at the help notes but they say something about only applying of the MSO is set for mail only - I'm using other features - calendar - will that matter?

Sorry to be slow on this!

Cheers

Note to admin I used to get an email telling me when there was a reply to a thread - has this feature stopped?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='whealie' post='776262' date='21-May-2009 14:44']Note to admin I used to get an email telling me when there was a reply to a thread - has this feature stopped?[/quote]
    It hasn't stopped, but the way you request these emails has changed.

When you create a post you can set the checkbox "Enable email notification of replies"

You can set this checkbox to be always ticked by going to Controls> Email Settings > and setting the check box "Enable email notification by default". Then choose the type of notification in the drop down box.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='whealie' post='776262' date='21-May-2009 08:44']I'm not clear about para 2 in your reply. I went into Explorer but cannot see MSO anywhere - tried MS Office but still no joy - a clue please!?

para 3 Are you suggesting that compacting these files is the answer. I looked at the help notes but they say something about only applying of the MSO is set for mail only - I'm using other features - calendar - will that matter?[/quote]

In the How to manage personal folders files in Outlook (IMO) article see the section titled<H3 id=tocHeadRef>How to make a backup copy of a personal folders (.pst) file</H3> loadTOCNode(2, 'moreinformation'); The default location of the PST file is C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. However, to make sure see the directions in the above section. Then to check the size use Windows Explorer to navigate to the location.

Compacting the PST file may help. Outlook is notorious for not being a good database manager.

Joe
    Joe