MrLuvigz

Access 2000 questions

I have 3 Access 2000 questions:

1. Is there any way from Access 2000 to directly connect to the system default e-mail system?

2. Are there any ActiveX objects that will let you access the system file structure for creating a directory browse (for say letting a user browse for the location of a datafile) in Access.

3. How can you pass a module variable into a macro. Specifically for use in a filter comparison.

Any help would be apriaciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 2000 questions

1. Several ways, including sendobject. What exactly do you want to do and which mail system are you talking about? If you're trying to create generic code that will work across mailing systems, good luck.

2. There are ActiveX controls for this. The Common Dialog control is the one you want, but these controls aren't part of Access, even though they should show up in the ActiveX tools. There are also code based methods of creating the same functionality.

3. Macros can't use variables. If you want to do stuff like that, do it in VBA where it makes sense. Macros are useful for quick and dirty prototyping. Beyond that, they fall apart quickly.
    Charlotte

MrLuvigz

1. Thanks for the good luck.
    2. Ok. Can I make that ActiveX object work in a form? If so how? Do I need Microsofts Development package for Office 2000?
    3. Is there a way to make a function return a variable? (i.e. reminisant of Java or C++)??

Thanks

Scott A

1. Not sure if you want to go there, but you can use the MAPI API [img]/w3timages/icons/devil.gif[/img] but this is not for the faint of heart.
    Checkout the MAPI documentation on MSDN.
    2. To use this control you usually need to install either Office Developer or Visual Basic. As an alternative, you can use the corresponding API calls. Check out this page on the Access Web.
    3. Sure. In the function declaration, just specify the return type.
    Example:
    Public Function MyFunc() As WhateverObject
    Checkout the VBA/VB help file for additional info

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as 3. goes, if you're testing for a result in a macro, you'll have to put the function in the condition column of the macro and evaluate it there to determine the macro branching. However, if you're trying to work with global variables, my best advice is,don't. They break too easily and macros don't have any error handling to deal with that situation.
    Charlotte