3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I inherited a workbook from someone and it has a problem I've never seen before. There are a number of areas that have merged cells. I can't get these merged cells to stay left aligned. I can change them, and as long as the workbook is open they stay left aligned, but when I save and close the workbook and then reopen it, the merged cells are all center aligned. I've never seen this happen before and I can't figure out what is causing it.
    This is a pretty unremarkable workbook. No macros, no formula in any of the merged cells. I tried merging unused cells and the same behavior occurs. Is there an option somewhere I'm missing?
    I'd appreciate any ideas you might have.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Are the cells merged or is it using Center Across Selection? (Check in the Format, Alignment, Horizontal to see if it is Centered across a selection)
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never seen this problem, and I can't find any mention of it.

Does it occur in any other workbook for you?
    Could you create a copy, remove most or all of the content and post the copy so that others can inspect it?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Hans,
    No it does not occur in any other workbook.
    To create this file I'm attaching, I just copied one of the sheets to a new workbook and then deleted most of the rows. The Address and City fields are the first place I saw this happen. Of course now I have to correct my first sentence because now it happens in these two workbooks!
    Catherine, the cells are merged and I did try formatting as you suggested.
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem is caused by the style applied to the cells: Normal_Crazy Merge Cells.
    The definition for this style includes "Center across selection" as horizontal alignment.
    You can edit the Normal_Crazy Merge Cells style and change the horizontal alignment to General, or you can apply a different style (that does not have "Center across selection" set) to the merged cells. Either of these will cure the problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hans! You are the Man!!!! Thank you very, very much! I never even thought to look at styles.
    Thanks