Thread: File Extensions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    After a frustrating few hours trying to figure this out via Google as I wasn't sure this was a Woody's Lounge topic, decided to come here and try. This is the only place whose help I can understand!!

I inadvertently changed the default zip extension to an image viewer, Irfanview (hate the automatic check mark in the "always open with this extension box"!!). I have no idea how the zipped files used to open (what the extension was originally). They certainly won't open with the Irfanview program.

Can you tell me how to get back to whatever the extension used to be as I had no problem before?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='IreneLinda' post='776174' date='20-May-2009 14:57']After a frustrating few hours trying to figure this out via Google as I wasn't sure this was a Woody's Lounge topic, decided to come here and try. This is the only place whose help I can understand!!

I inadvertently changed the default zip extension to an image viewer, Irfanview (hate the automatic check mark in the "always open with this extension box"!!). I have no idea how the zipped files used to open (what the extension was originally). They certainly won't open with the Irfanview program.[/quote]

Go to Control Panel | Programs | Default Programs | Associate a file type or protocol with a program. Look for another compressed file type such as RAR, or TAR and see what program is associated with them.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to File association fixes for Windows Vista.
    Click on zip in the grid of extensions. Instructions are displayed below the grid.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IreneLinda' post='776174' date='20-May-2009 15:57']Can you tell me how to get back to whatever the extension used to be as I had no problem before?[/quote]
    I took a different route than Joe or Hans. From the Vista Start Menu HELP selection, searching for "file associations" brings up this;

[attachment=83870:2009_05_20_162637.png]

In my case, for an example, I BROWSED for Windows Explorer in the Windows folder but the problem in my case is that I already have WinZip installed, so I don't know if choosing Windows Explorer would be the "default" for Vista.

PS If you don't have WinZip or one of the free zip file handlers, you might be well advised to install one for the future. Doing so might repair this problem as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd written this PS before I read all your replies! Thanks for all the help. I am going to take time to go through all of your suggestions for the future. Meanwhile, thought I should report what happened right after I posted FYI.

Remembered that the zip image files used to open in Internet Explorer. Went back to try it and found that an HP add on I had on my HP laptop was not compatible with IE 8, recently upgraded to. Tried to follow MS advice to download new HP add on version so it would be compatible and had a real problem: once download complete and I closed IE and tried to re-open zip file, kept getting IE windows that flashed up one after the other on my screen and then wouldn't close! Or rather they closed and then kept opening up, one after the other! I restarted, got rid of that problem and tried again - same result. Finally went to System Restore, thinking I'd go back far enough and get rid of that mistaken changed file extension. That did seem to work. This time, when IE told me about the HP add on problem, I clicked the "open IE without this add on" and now everything is back to normal! (I think!)

Regardless, I am glad to now know several ways to correct this extension issue as I remember its being a problem ages ago, too! There's always a list of programs suggested to use, but I had no idea which one to choose for which program!

Thanks again for ALL your help and so quickly, too!

Linda

Thanks
    [quote name='IreneLinda' post='776194' date='20-May-2009 17:32']Went back to try it and found that an HP add on I had on my HP laptop
    Linda[/quote]
    Linda,
    Just for general info, what WAS the HP add on that gave you the trouble?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='776212' date='21-May-2009 00:06']Linda,
    Just for general info, what WAS the HP add on that gave you the trouble?[/quote]
    Hi Bob, sorry to be late with this - my email notification seems to work only sporadically! Not sure what the HP add on was. If there is a way to find out that you can explain to me, I'd be happy to poke around in this laptop so I can answer your question.

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    PCFixer is a small FREE utility that will identify missing file associations, amongst other things.

IrfanView is an astounding program for the number of file associations that are available, and when you install it, you are warned to exercise caution in what you select. I think one option is 'all image files' (which may be entirely reasonable for some purposes). There is a separate download for plug-ins. That is a far cry from programs that hijack existing file associations to force music or movies or any number of other things to run under their own program instead of something possibly far more expensive that you may already have carefully set up to suit your preferences.

A single text editor to handle all text files may be entirely reasonable, but when it comes to compression much may depend on what you want to compress and how much of it you have. You can have a number of files of different types saved in a single compressed file, and if you are sending it to someone they have to be able to extract the contents.

Image files are notoriously large and may consume a lot of disk space, but they are also notoriously resistant to compression. To the best of my knowledge, Stuffit beats the stuffing out of competitors in that respect. Text files, including word-processor output files, compress very well but are relatively small to begin with, so you may scarcely notice them. Zip files are very common and convenient, and WinZip is the primary compression program. WinRar is more rarified, with higher compression ratios for general use. Self-extracting program files are the preferred means of for most users when it comes to program installations. Sit files sit well with... (Oh knock it off – ed.)

In conclusion, you are stuck with comparisons and tradeoffs.

All Programs | HP | HP Update should provide updates to any HP stuff that needs updating. There have been some significant HP updates within the past week, depending on what you have.