Thread: XP setup macros

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does Windows XP have a Macro Recording System where I can assign a Function key to simultaneously start up execution of applications ??

I need to open Access, Excel, Word, then click on the Start button & on My Computer, then choose a disk location, then open a Folder , then open a set of files.

This above is the hoped for sequence for the XP Macro.

Thanks for any help !!

Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Theodore' post='776299' date='21-May-2009 19:28']Does Windows XP have a Macro Recording System where I can assign a Function key to simultaneously start up execution of applications ??[/quote]

Favourites for this sort of job would be Autoit from http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/ or autohotkey from http://www.autohotkey.com/ .

And I'm sure someone will be along in a minute with suggestions for BATch files...
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Theodore' post='776299' date='21-May-2009 13:28']I need to open Access, Excel, Word, then click on the Start button & on My Computer, then choose a disk location, then open a Folder , then open a set of files.[/quote]

Is this a known set of Office files you wish to open? Or do you wish to open an arbitrary set of Office files? If neither, why do you want Access, Excel, & Word open?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='776350' date='21-May-2009 22:59']Is this a known set of Office files you wish to open? Or do you wish to open an arbitrary set of Office files? If neither, why do you want Access, Excel, & Word open?

Joe[/quote]

Reply to Joe

: I wish to enter data into an excel spreadsheet and then automatically "Paste Special" that data into both an access file and a word document. This would save me from having to copy and paste two extra times in two different applications. In the case of paste special 2 applications (access and word) are automatically updated.

Then I would rename three updated files with a date stamp.

I would then use DOS to backup and/or delete older files.

PS Many repetitive clicks and key strokes would then be eliminated through Macro usage.

Ted