New Lounger
    Thanks

Complex Query (2000)

I am stumped on this one.

I have a 'search' form where users can select/enter criteria to search on. Five of them are date to
    and from boxes for 5 different date fields.

When the user types in a from/to date the query is simple, I use a between forms!frmMenuInquiry!txtFrom
    and to syntax. This works. However, how do I get it to work if the user doesn't enter a date? ie a null
    entry means find everything. One way would be to create a query for every eventuality for the form and
    use a Select Case statement to see if a date has been entered in the date field. That would be ok for
    one maybe two dates, but 5 results in over 20 different possible combinations.

Does this make much sense?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Complex Query (2000)

This may not be the best way, but you could use If Then Else statements like this:

If IsNull(txtFrom) Then
    txtFrom.Value = #01/01/1901#
    End If

If IsNull(txtTo) Then
    txtTo.Value = Date
    End If

You can set the From date to whatever would be the earliest possible date or just use the 1901 date and then Date would give all up until today.

Bob Larson

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply Bob. I have something like that already in place, however it assumes that there will always be an entry for the date field in every record. I have date fields which may not be completed so if the user does not place a to/from date in the search form they are assuming that all records will be found for this field as no criteria is present. Using the method you suggested would only find records with actual entries. I think....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If it's the TO date, just use Nz(forms!frmMenuInquiry!txtTo,Date()), which will use the current date if they don't enter a TO date. If they don't enter a FROM date, you have to decide how you want to handle it. I generally test for a FROM date and a TO date. If they entered only a FROM date, I use >= the FROM date. If they entered only a TO date or neither date, I use <= the TO date, using the first trick I described to generate a TO date if I need to.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,

This will achieve the same thing, but will not find a record that is blank if the user does not type in a date which they might not want to do. e.g.
    Record# Date
    1 01/01/2001
    2 02/01/2001
    3 03/01/2001
    4 Empty
    5 04/01/2001
    6 05/01/2001
    7 06/01/2001

If txtfrom is blank my function will make txtfrom = 1/1/1900 and txtto = 07/09/2001this will
    find records 1,2,3,5,6,7 but *not* record 4. I want the query to say if the txtfrom and txtto are blank
    then find all...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Why don't you build a selection criteria :
    <pre>If IsNull(FromDate) and IsNull(ToDate) Then
    strCriteria = "[RecordDate] Like '*'"
    Else
    strCriteria = "[RecordDate] Between #" & FromDate & "# and #" & ToDate & "#"
    End If
    DoCmd.OpenReport "YourReport" , , , strCriteria
    </pre>

Francois

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, but it isn't clear whether your missing dates are in the table data or on your form. Which one are you talking about? I thought you were saying that they might not type in a TO or FROM date. From your post, it looks like that wasn't your question at all.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the confusion, I am concerned about trying to find datefields in the table that are blank. I can handle the question if the user doesn't enter dates in the query form - that is relatively straight forward. Hope that makes sense.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Then all you need to do is use something like "Between ThisDate And ThatDate or Is Null" in the criteria line. Actually, as I think about it, are these fields actually null? Make sure you format the field in the query as a short date to eliminate any stray times you might get otherwise.
    Charlotte