Lounger
    Thanks
    I have now had three Transcend USB 16 GB drives destroyed when attempting to write from Word 2003 to the drive.
    The drive is Part Number TS16GJFV10 16GB JETFLASH V10.

Symptom is that when in Word and attempting to store a large document (500K or so), there will be a partial write,
    the computer hangs and I can't get out of the hang-up without powering down the computer. CTRL-ALT-DEL is
    useless.

I always make sure that I remove the Flash Drive with the Safely Remove Hardware from the taskbar. I am
    using Windows Vista 32bit, SP1. The computer is an HP-6300f with 2 gigabytes of RAM.

I have never had this happen with any other flash drive and I have used Kingston, and SanDisk.

Other than not saving a file to the Flash Drive from Word, is there any other solution -- besides not using a Transcend Flash Drive?

The Transcend Flash has a "lifetime" warranty. The Recover software that is available from their site never resolves the problem.
    Also, it is not possible to reformat the flash drive once the error has occured.

Once, or maybe even twice, I can believe that I possibly messed up. But the third time, the flash drive was inserted and left in position. It
    was never removed so I am sure that I did not remove it at an inappropriate time.

Note: Transcend has replaced this drive twice. and the third drive is now shipping back to them. They don't have any answer, but
    have always supplied me with an RMA when I reported the problem.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
    [quote name='thomascox46' post='776380' date='21-May-2009 20:44']...
    Other than not saving a file to the Flash Drive from Word, is there any other solution -- besides not using a Transcend Flash Drive?[/quote]
    Word works with multiple temporary files, some of which it renames after a save. I don't know whether Word's use of multiple files creates issues with flash drives, but it is one reason that historically it was always recommended to save to the hard drive and then copy to removable media, rather than writing to removable media. Assuming that security and other considerations permit, this also will extend the life of your flash drive.

I have never used a flash drive larger than 2GB, so I don't know whether there are special considerations with such a large device.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='thomascox46' post='776380' date='22-May-2009 13:44']I have now had three Transcend USB 16 GB drives destroyed when attempting to write from Word 2003 to the drive.
    Symptom is that when in Word and attempting to store a large document (500K or so), there will be a partial write,
    the computer hangs and I can't get out of the hang-up without powering down the computer. CTRL-ALT-DEL is
    useless.

I always make sure that I remove the Flash Drive with the Safely Remove Hardware from the taskbar. I am
    using Windows Vista 32bit, SP1. The computer is an HP-6300f with 2 gigabytes of RAM.
    Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.[/quote]
    Hi Thomas,

I very much doubt there's anything Word can do to damage a flash drive - or any other sort of drive, for that matter - unless there's something fundamentally wrong with the drive's design. The most any software should be able to do is to corrupt the drive's contents, which a simple reformat would fix.

If the drive is failing (ie to the point it can't even be reformatted), it's a hardware failure - or maybe a firmware failure triggered by software writing to controller firmware that should be inaccessible.

In the past, some USB drives would fail because they couldn't cope with being powered on for long periods or because they overheated when doing large-scale write operations (such as Word might require for the temp files for a large document when autosave is on). Still, a 500kb document isn't all that big.

It's possible the real problem is that these drives can't cope with your HP's USB power output.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='thomascox46' post='776380' date='21-May-2009 22:44']I have now had three Transcend USB 16 GB drives destroyed when attempting to write from Word 2003 to the drive.
    The drive is Part Number TS16GJFV10 16GB JETFLASH V10.

useless.

using Windows Vista 32bit, SP1. The computer is an HP-6300f with 2 gigabytes of RAM.[/quote]

Another consideration is what file format does the drive use (FAT or NTFS)? If you are only going to sue the drive on a Windows based system that supports NTFS (anything newer than Win9x/ME) then I'd format the drive using NTFS. NTFS is a more robust file system than FAT and less prone to wierd errors. NOTE: If power is the problem NTFS probably won't help.

Joe
    Joe