Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picture rails

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    ... because North Americans generally don't use picture rails.
    Australians do, or used to.
    I am going to install picture rails right around the apartment.
    I've bought the timber (see attached over-exposed photo), but am currently in discussion as to the color.

My walls are apartment-beige throughout.
    The rails, un-painted, are a light colour, not unlike a cross between oak and pine.
    I could varnish them, or I could paint them white, or black or purple or ....
    Then I will screw them into the walls and hang my pictures on picture hooks.

Question 1: What colour are your picture rails and on what colour wall?
    Question 2: What is the distance from the ceiling to your picture-rails?
    Question 3: Where do you buy those triangular-shaped s-shaped hooks stamped out of flat metal, and how much do you pay for them?

Examples of picture rails are few and far between here in Etobicoke, and no-one sells the picture hooks, because noone buys them.

Thanks for any answers, tips, or even "If I were doing it again I'd ...." types of responses.
    No chain-sawing required, but thanks anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The Log Cabin is approximately 120 years old and has 8 foot high ceilings, this is about the general height for a Victorian house although my parents house has 8' 6" ceilings.

Picture rails should normally be 12" - 20" from the ceiling but you should tack one up to get the right ration, often best done by eye to judge the proportions correctly. If you have lower ceilings putting the rail in line with the door architrave, this is very prevalent in later Victorian period housing.

As for colour, a nice coat of white gloss will do or the same colour as your skirting and door frames.
    Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Jezza' post='776476' date='22-May-2009 18:40']As for colour, a nice coat of white gloss will do or the same colour as your skirting and door frames.[/quote]

White never fails but colour should usually match or maybe complement skirting boards and door architraves. Alternatively a mid sheen finish can be subtle and pleasing on the eye (here in the UK sometimes called "satinwood" or "soft sheen" or "eggshell" finish)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='776474' date='22-May-2009 13:17']... because North Americans generally don't use picture rails.[/quote]
    You are correct about this North American not knowing what a picture rail is. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of your completed picture rail project! It sounds interesting!

Hope you have lots of success and are satisfied with the results when you finish!

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's a good picture of a picture rail:

Alternatively you could try here- there is a Canadian number:
    http://www.picturehanging.com/

Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='776474' date='23-May-2009 03:17']Question 3: Where do you buy those triangular-shaped s-shaped hooks stamped out of flat metal, and how much do you pay for them?[/quote]
    There's a toll free Canadian number listed here, for this kind of thing:

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Jezza' post='776476' date='22-May-2009 14:40']Picture rails should normally be 12" - 20" from the ceiling ... putting the rail in line with the door architrave,[/quote]
    Thanks, Jezza. Now I know what an entablature is.
    I especially like your idea of alignment with the door frame.
    My ceilings are 96", and 16" drop gets me to the top of the door frame.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='776486' date='22-May-2009 15:47']Alternatively a mid sheen finish[/quote]
    Thanks jaystarter1; I'm probably going to go with some varnish-like sealing.
    The skirting is done in the same flat-beige as the walls, and, until I replaced seventy-four of them, most of the electrical and telephone plates.
    The previous tenant hired a team of east-European painters who, it appears, had one rather wide brush between them and fought for the privilege of using it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='776504' date='22-May-2009 18:34']I'd be interested in seeing a picture of your completed picture rail project![/quote]
    Thanks, Skitterbug; I'll send you a, er, picture when it's all done.
    I'll probably do my office first, because it will be an experiment, plus I can hang up all my letters-of-recommendation, my brag-wall, to perk me up when I'm feeling down.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='gwhitfield' post='776538' date='22-May-2009 21:58']Alternatively you could try here- there is a Canadian number:[/quote]
    ... for which many thanks, Geoff.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='776716' date='24-May-2009 13:29']There's a toll free Canadian number listed ...[/quote]
    Thanks, Alan. I'll give them a call tomorrow morning EST.

Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='776856' date='25-May-2009 12:21']The skirting is done in the same flat-beige as the walls, and, until I replaced seventy-four of them,[/quote]
    You replaced seventy four walls? How long did that take? WOW!
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='776872' date='26-May-2009 03:46']You replaced seventy four walls? How long did that take? WOW! [/quote]
    Perhaps that's why Chris hasn't been around much lately.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='776907' date='25-May-2009 19:20']Perhaps that's why Chris hasn't been around much lately.[/quote]Close!
    I finally got around to making two holes in one wall of my office and have the first piece of rail up. Photo Attached. Only tacked up to see "how it works"; I still have to seal/prime/paint the several million linear feet of molding.
    I came here to post the photo and was reminded of the comment of 74 walls.
    I took time off to do a survey of the 3-bedroom apartment.
    63 Walls.
    I have counted each wall just once, so the lo0000ng wall counts as one, even though it is shared by a short hall, a long hall, Chris's hall and the front hall. Not to mention the living-room.
    The building is a concave-triangular walled edifice, so we have odd angles in some rooms; hence an odd number of walls in some rooms.
    Several rooms have what appear to be clad columns marching up the wall. These are often long enough to qualify for a separate picture rail and thus can be counted as a "wall". I can supply photographic examples on request.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='776872' date='25-May-2009 14:46']You replaced seventy four walls? How long did that take? WOW! [/quote]
    About 3 weeks, by the look of it (grin)
    OK. It's a start.
    I've made some interim hooks out of useless wire coat hangers, and hung four items on my "Brag Wall".
    I now must standardize/rationalize the frames, accumulated over many years.
    Time to strike a Good deal with Mister Dollar Store across the street?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast