New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, everybody. My first post but I did search for previous posts on this topic and did not find any.

I have written an article that is four normal pages with probably half of the article being in the form of equations made with the Equation Editor. When I try to print this paper, the printer switches from automatic feed to manual feed and the page is reformatted so that the whole page prints on about 2/3 of a piece of paper. I have eliminated my printer as the cause and repaired/re-installed my Brother laser printer and spent a good bit of time on the phone with their customer support. Other (non math-heavy) Word documents print normally. I have checked the printer settings when bringing up the print dialog and it is still set on auto-feed and 8.5 x 11 paper.

Does anyone have knowledge of this problem or suggest what I can look for? I don't really know anything about formatting styles and would not call myself a "power user". This problem has come up before and it always involves math-related documents.

Thanks in advance.

Roger in Jacksonville, FL

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Which version of Word are you using? 97, 2000, 2002 aka XP, 2003 or 2007?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='776537' date='22-May-2009 20:57']Welcome to the Lounge!

Which version of Word are you using? 97, 2000, 2002 aka XP, 2003 or 2007?[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome. I'm using 2003 Office Pro.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='RCinJvilleFL' post='776547' date='23-May-2009 12:35']Thanks for the welcome. I'm using 2003 Office Pro.

Roger in Jacksonville, FL[/quote]
    Hi Roger,

Have you tried repairing your Office installation (Help|Detect & Repair)? It might also help to see if there's a later print drivers for your printer, as it's possible the driver is interpreting something in one of the equations as a print setup command. If it's the latter, removing equations (starting with the last one that printed correctly, then the first that didn't, should help identify where the problem is occurring. You caould also try printing to pdf (if you've got the right software) and see if that makes any differrence.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='macropod' post='776552' date='23-May-2009 00:15']Hi Roger,

Have you tried repairing your Office installation (Help|Detect & Repair)? It might also help to see if there's a later print drivers for your printer, as it's possible the driver is interpreting something in one of the equations as a print setup command. If it's the latter, removing equations (starting with the last one that printed correctly, then the first that didn't, should help identify where the problem is occurring. You caould also try printing to pdf (if you've got the right software) and see if that makes any differrence.[/quote]

Thanks for the excellent suggestion, Macropod. I have printed the document to PDF and it comes out exactly the same way (condensed to 2/3 of a page). I have not thought about something in the equations being interpreted as a print command and it is an intriguing possibility. I will try the Detect & Repair and see if that correct the problem.

Thanks again for your response.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had strange problems with equation editor in the past, usually caused by just one equation.

Try making a copy of your document and deleting half the equations to see if it now prints OK, if not then try deleting the other half and keep going till you find the problem equation. If you can get it down to just one equation then delete it and recreate it.

Thanks
    [quote name='RCinJvilleFL' post='776534' date='22-May-2009 17:42']I have written an article that is four normal pages with probably half of the article being in the form of equations made with the Equation Editor. When I try to print this paper, the printer switches from automatic feed to manual feed and the page is reformatted so that the whole page prints on about 2/3 of a piece of paper.[/quote]
    Also check the Page Setup dialog for errant settings (e.g., paper trays) that will override the default printer settings. If your document contains multiple sections, you may need to visit the Page Setup dialog for each one.