Thread: Mac Book

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello All, I have got myself into a slight problem that I know nothing about. My niece is a graduate of Penn State last week, she is going to be a grade school teacher.
    Here's the problem Penn State gave her a Mac Book to use with her studies, now that she is leaving college she wanted to buy the computer but Penn State says no, I advised her and her parents to purchase an external hard drive and we should be able to back-up her studies and work.
    Question is should I do an IMAGE of the drive (maybe be able to use some of the programs from Penn State) or will I only be able to back-up her documents? I don't have the specs for laptop yet as I am going there this evening to see if we can do this, and I was hoping with all of your help we could get the ball rolling.
    I forgot to mention she is planning to purchase a new Mac Book to put this back-up to use.
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    jim ( tinman)
    retired sheet metal worker

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Burning a image and using the software would most likely be illegal.

Not only that, with a image you would be getting the OS also and that could be hazards to the new machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='776594' date='23-May-2009 12:18']Burning a image and using the software would most likely be illegal.

Not only that, with a image you would be getting the OS also and that could be hazards to the new machine.[/quote]

Thanks Dave, I didn't mean to do anything illegal. As I said I have not seen the thing yet only talked to her over the phone.
    But that what I was asking about an image, which we won't do, I think maybe she is thinking with the new mac she wouldn't be able to use her documents.
    Didn't want to sound like a pirate
    I read something about a program on Mac's called Time Machine should we use that to save her documents?
    jim ( tinman)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='tinman19' post='776596' date='23-May-2009 12:38']Thanks Dave, I didn't mean to do anything illegal. As I said I have not seen the thing yet only talked to her over the phone.
    But that what I was asking about an image, which we won't do, I think maybe she is thinking with the new mac she wouldn't be able to use her documents.
    Didn't want to sound like a pirate
    I read something about a program on Mac's called Time Machine should we use that to save her documents?[/quote]
    I just wanted to close this thread, I was being overly cautious about backing up the documents. It was a simple matter of dragging and dropping into the the external hard drive.
    Then trying them out on another Pc, everything worked fine.
    Thanks for the help.
    jim ( tinman)