Thread: chkdsk question

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    I have run "chkdsk C:/F/V/R and when the utility is finished (usually early AM) when im not around to view the results. is there some place windows saves the "log" of the run ? I have checked the Event Viewer (administrative tools) but have no luck in finding it?! Any one have any ideas ? Regards
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Just Plain Fred' post='776626' date='23-May-2009 22:25']I have run "chkdsk C:/F/V/R and when the utility is finished (usually early AM) when im not around to view the results. is there some place windows saves the "log" of the run ? I have checked the Event Viewer (administrative tools) but have no luck in finding it?! Any one have any ideas ?[/quote]
    Are sure that it has actually been run?

Have you checked, in Event Viewer: Program, source: Winlogon? Since that is where the reports will be.

Have you tested setting it up to do a less thorough check (sans R), to save some time, to see if it indeed starts and if you then can find the report?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Argus,
    Hello and thank you for your reply. Yes chkdsk was running i followed it through "4 of 5" then went to bed. In "event viewer i do not see anything like "program ,source or winlogon" Must be somewhere in this mix. (see attachment) Regards[attachment=83928:eventViewer.GIF]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Just Plain Fred' post='776651' date='24-May-2009 00:21']Argus,
    Hello and thank you for your reply. Yes chkdsk was running i followed it through "4 of 5" then went to bed. In "event viewer i do not see anything like "program ,source or winlogon" Must be somewhere in this mix.[/quote]
    Sorry, that should be Application. My bad translation (or lack of, since in Swedish language ver. it is Program).

The source "winlogon" should be found in the "source column" in the right hand pane. One could also filter the entries in Application on source "winlogon", if there are many entries, or perhaps do a search. But usually one knows at what time something happened.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Argus,
    Ran chkdsk minus "R" and did as you suggested , Found results under "Windows logs, application, Wininit" Don't know why"Wininit" not " chkdsk" but there it was! Thanks much! Regards
    PlainFred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Just Plain Fred' post='776654' date='24-May-2009 00:43']Ran chkdsk minus "R" and did as you suggested , Found results under "Windows logs, application, Wininit"[/quote]
    Thanks for reporting; I don't have a Vista machine at hand now.

Really slow tonight, forgot that they somehow changed that in Vista: Winlogon ==> Wininit. First wrong name on the log, then the source Ah well.

Anyhow, a successful "chkdsk" should result in event ID 1001, under source Wininit in the Application log, as mentioned earlier.