Thread: Globish

Lounger
    Thanks
    There's a Form of International English known as Globish, which has simplified grammar and a vocabulary of just 1500 words. It was developed by a French man, Jean-Paul Nerrière and is designed so those whose first language is not English can communicate with each other - eg Japanese and Spanish. See more at www.globish.com

So, the challenge is, how to get Word to flag words not in the Globish dictionary as mis-spelled. Creating a custom.dic containing the words is easy enough, but what then? I'd thought of marking the document text as - for example - Amharic but with the Globish custom.dic active . However that returns no spelling errors at all. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought Globish was meant for spoken communication, not for writing?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timolot View Post
    There's a Form of International English known as Globish, which has simplified grammar and a vocabulary of just 1500 words. It was developed by a French man, Jean-Paul Nerrière and is designed so those whose first language is not English can communicate with each other - eg Japanese and Spanish. See more at www.globish.com

So, the challenge is, how to get Word to flag words not in the Globish dictionary as mis-spelled. Creating a custom.dic containing the words is easy enough, but what then? I'd thought of marking the document text as - for example - Amharic but with the Globish custom.dic active . However that returns no spelling errors at all. Any ideas?
    Hi Timolot,

Whilst Globish might be a good attempt to help non-English speakers communicate with each other in English, I think it needs a larger wordlist to be really useful for communicating with native-English speakers. The following words, from the 500 most common words in the English language (http://www.world-english.org/english500.htm), don't appear in the Globish dictionary:
    am an are beauty been began brought came check children class could course cross did differ does done don't draw farm feet figure found gave got had has heard inch is king knew lay let lot made me men mile need notice noun numeral oh pattern perhaps plain plane pose pound product ran said saw song spell state stood those told took unit vowel was went were would
    Whilst it's true alternative words/expressions could be found for many of these, expecting native-English speakers to abandon these words for the benefit of the occasional 'English as a second language' speaker is impractical. Far better IMHO to marginally increase the Globish wordlist.

FWIW, the attached macro checks the 'Globish' content for a given document. Basically, the macro leaves all non-globish words in red, eveything else in the automatic font colour. The macro may appear to stall at the end, but the document should be updated a few seconds later.

Note: The wordlist in the macro isn't internationaliz(s)ed for the various flavo(u)rs of english spelling, so you'd probably need to do that.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by macropod; 2013-03-05 at 01:15.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]