Thread: OLE Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Access 2003. Bound OLE Control.

In the attached image you will see two pairs of controls. The top controls use a double click to open a file dialog for the user to select a file. The after update then populates the lower control (bound OLE) using -

Me.oleClient_Logo.SourceDoc = Me.txtClient_Logo_Path
    Me.oleClient_Logo.OLETypeAllowed = acOLEEmbedded
    Me.oleClient_Logo.Action = acOLECreateEmbed

However, as you can see in the attached image. the right hand control is then populated with what looks like a package instead of a picture as in the bottom left control.

My Google searches only find references to this happening with jpgs and gifs when the Office 2003 install removes photo editor which was acting as the OLE server. I have reinstalled Photo Editor but this seems irrelevant to BMPs.

Any idea as to why I get the package instead of what we used to get - the picture as shown on the left?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Storing images in a database is not a good idea in Access 2003 and before (Access 2007 has much improved image handling). See post 296892 for a way of using an Image control to display pictures on a form and report. The Image control doesn't have the same limitations that the OLE control has.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's what I generally do (this database also has reports with hundreds of linked images) but for in this case there are only 4 images that are used on dozens of forms and reports and it's easier to manage therm as OLEs.
    So any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Even if the logos are used many times, it's still better to use a linked image.

I don't know what causes your problem - Access should always be able to handle bitmap images (.bmp). Have you made sure that the Display Type property of the OLE control has been set to Content, not to Icon?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep its set to content and from all I've read Access should not be doing this with BMPs.
    Thanks Hans.