Thanks
    I've got a Word document containing a table. (Attached) I want to email it to a bunch of people, have them fill in the table, save the document with a different name, then send it back to me.

This should be a common desire, but I can't figure out how to do it. I've fooled around with forms, read-only, etc., but I'm not able to put together the full package.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Would File | Send to | Routing recipient... do what you want? See Collaborate effectively with your team.

Thanks
    It might help, but that's not really what we're looking for.

We have about 15 reviewers. Each gets a group of about 12 papers to review (each paper only goes to one reviewer). We're looking for a way for each reviewer to fill in the blanks on his papers, then send the form back to us. We will manually compile all the data from the blanks and deal with the information from there on.

It would be nice, but not necessary or worth a lot of trouble, to prevent the reviewers from editing the form (beyond filling in the blanks).

It's extremely desirable to prevent the filled-in forms coming back to us with the same filename as the blank ones. (We don't want to risk overwriting good files with other good files.)
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    In the end, it's your responsibility to handle the returned documents correctly. You can only recommend that the recipient saves the document under another name, you cannot enforce it.

I'd rather use an Excel workbook for this than a Word document.

Have you thought about setting up a web questionnaire for this? See for example SurveyMonkey.com.

Thanks
    1) I tried making the file Read Only, but that restriction doesn't hold after the file is uploaded and downloaded. I'm thinking we should just name the files as we send them out JoesFile.doc, MarysFile.doc, etc., then be careful when we get stuff back.

2) I'd rather use Excel, too. I don't know that all our reviewers have it, though.

3) The Survey Monkey would be perfect for our needs, IF it collected free text rather than responses to check boxes and radio buttons. At first look, it doesn't seem to do that. I'll look deeper.

Thanks for your help. Woody's Lounge is certainly a great resource. I wish there were a way to support it financially, other than buying stuff I don't need. An optional year-long "subscription" would be great, especially if there were automatic renewal notices.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    (Thanks for the kind words.)

If you want to use Word, you could use form fields and protect the document for forms. The attached version of the document has been protected using the password "Lou Sander" (without the quotes, case sensitive). The user can only enter information in the form fields, the rest is locked againsty editing.

If you want to unprotect the document, select Tools | Unprotect document and provide the password.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    That would seem to do what we need. Thanks. It will be up to us to deal with filenames, but I think we can do it, since there are only 15 reviewers.

On financing... I run a U.S. Navy ship reunion group with 1,300 names on the mailing list. About 400 of them are active supporters. We provide far fewer services than Woody's Lounge. We have no annual dues, but people send us $10,000-$15,000 a year in response to a very gentle fund drive asking for $25 contributions. Those who have money send it; those who don't, don't. If Woody wants to consider something similar, I'll be happy to provide details.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Lou Sander' post='776879' date='25-May-2009 19:51']1) I tried making the file Read Only, but that restriction doesn't hold after the file is uploaded and downloaded. I'm thinking we should just name the files as we send them out JoesFile.doc, MarysFile.doc, etc., then be careful when we get stuff back.

2) I'd rather use Excel, too. I don't know that all our reviewers have it, though.

3) The Survey Monkey would be perfect for our needs, IF it collected free text rather than responses to check boxes and radio buttons. At first look, it doesn't seem to do that. I'll look deeper.

Thanks for your help. Woody's Lounge is certainly a great resource. I wish there were a way to support it financially, other than buying stuff I don't need. An optional year-long "subscription" would be great, especially if there were automatic renewal notices.[/quote]

google docs has a "form" systems that might fit your needs, here's one I was playing with
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl...TEljS3hmREE6MA..

the data fills a google docs spreadsheet and from there you can do pretty much whatever you want with it

Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

It would be a miracle, but... are you the Jeff Meyers from Maryland who worked for Microsoft in 1989?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Lou Sander' post='776879' date='25-May-2009 19:51']3) The Survey Monkey would be perfect for our needs, IF it collected free text rather than responses to check boxes and radio buttons. At first look, it doesn't seem to do that. I'll look deeper.[/quote]
    I have used SurveyMonkey to collect free text responses, it does a fine job. The only disadvantage is that the free accounts only allow you to view the results, you would need a paid subscription if you wanted to get reports that you could copy and paste the text from.

[attachment=85764:SurveyMonkey.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Lou Sander' post='795677' date='30-Sep-2009 15:40']Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

It would be a miracle, but... are you the Jeff Meyers from Maryland who worked for Microsoft in 1989?[/quote]

I am from Maryland but have never worked for Microsoft.

Thanks
    Thanks again for all the suggestions. My need for that specific form/table has passed. I've started using www.wufoo.com, which does a great job of collecting data from online forms. It lets you download them as an Excel file, so you've got all the data in a form you can work with.

It's free or inexpensive, depending on your needs. Once you get the hang of using it, it's really easy and really useful.

The main limitation is that it only deals with linear forms (one question after another), with no ability to "fill in a table."
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA