2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a client who decided to replace their old Win2000 PC with a newer Vista model.
    She uses Office standard XP suite. After loading in th software and setting up 2 email accounts in Outlook, I have noted that the account password, for either account, will not be saved after Outlook is shut down and then restarted.
    When setting up the account parameters, I always click the save passwords box.
    Any thoughts about this situation?
    Thanks

Thanks
    [quote name='macdonell' post='776868' date='25-May-2009 13:22']I have a client who decided to replace their old Win2000 PC with a newer Vista model.
    She uses Office standard XP suite. After loading in th software and setting up 2 email accounts in Outlook, I have noted that the account password, for either account, will not be saved after Outlook is shut down and then restarted.
    When setting up the account parameters, I always click the save passwords box.
    Any thoughts about this situation?
    Thanks[/quote]
    Would this article help?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='776871' date='25-May-2009 11:36'][/quote]John, would Post 661454 be relevant for this user of Outlook 2002 on Vista?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBF' post='776885 View Post
    John, would Post 661454 be relevant for this user of Outlook 2002 on Vista?
    [/quote]
    It certainly would John. For whatever reason (), I was thinking (or NOT thinking) O2003 rather than 2002.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='776894' date='25-May-2009 16:20']It certainly would John. For whatever reason (), I was thinking (or NOT thinking) O2003 rather than 2002.[/quote]

Thank you very much for saving me a lot of searching (Outlook 2002 not compatible with Vista). I will go back and discuss alternate solutions.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='macdonell' post='776939' date='25-May-2009 21:40']Thank you very much for saving me a lot of searching (Outlook 2002 not compatible with Vista). I will go back and discuss alternate solutions.[/quote]

It does not mean that Outlook 2002 is unusable with Vista. You just have to know the limitations such as not retaining the passwords. However, if a newer version of Outlook is real possibility that would be better.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems that the original question in this thread has been answered, so May I pose a slightly different but related question ...

I am an admin in a mixed environment when it comes to both OS and mail readers. We don't run exchange server, but many people do run Outlook on their machines. I have a new hire who uses outlook 2003 on her XPSP3 box (I know little about the inner workings of outlook) and everytime she puts in her mailserver password and checks the remember password box it checks the mail and then promptly forgets the password. If I go to the cpanel and to mail icon and check the settings that way, I can put in all the correct settings and password and check remember password and the test runs perfectly. If I click ok on everything and go back in the password is not there.

She logs into our domain server and her domain account is in the local admin group. I created a local account with the same name as the one on the server and made it the admin of the computer and it worked perfectly. Her domain account is also in the local Admins group. It seems like a permissions problem, but it isn't, AFAIK. Am I missing something. I even tried adding her to the Domain Admins group, to no avail!

Her machine is newly configured and the OS recently installed.

I tried John's suggestion of using KB article 290684 and got the same results - password not remembered even though box checked.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Zucker-Scharff View Post
    I have a new hire who uses outlook 2003 on her XPSP3 box (I know little about the inner workings of outlook) and everytime she puts in her mailserver password and checks the remember password box it checks the mail and then promptly forgets the password.

I tried John's suggestion of using KB article 290684 and got the same results - password not remembered even though box checked.
    Hmmm, usually it is the registry problem. Have you tried creating a new profile? If you close Outlook and use the Mail control panel, you can configure a new profile with the same account settings as a test.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Hmmm, usually it is the registry problem. Have you tried creating a new profile? If you close Outlook and use the Mail control panel, you can configure a new profile with the same account settings as a test.
    Tried that. A new profile under the same account doesn't seem to work correctly. I created a local test account with local admin privileges and created a profile in outlook for it and it worked. I renamed the test acct to match her domain login.