5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We have one PC on our laptop that we had to recreate a new login from the server. There was a power outage and somehow that login name got corrupted or something. With the new login settings I got all the programs to work correctly and see the server fine, but when I create a shortcut on the desktop for a file, it says that it can't be located. I can go directly to it and open it fine though.
    The server is running Windows 2000 Server.

What might cause this issue?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='kzkz' post='777075' date='26-May-2009 17:26']With the new login settings I got all the programs to work correctly and see the server fine, but when I create a shortcut on the desktop for a file, it says that it can't be located. I can go directly to it and open it fine though.
    The server is running Windows 2000 Server.

What might cause this issue?[/quote]

1.) Are you sure that the user login has permissions to access the file?
    2.) Does the path have a space in it so that it needs to be surrounded by quotation marks?
    3.) Can you access the file via shortcut with a different logon?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='777090' date='26-May-2009 23:54']1.) Are you sure that the user login has permissions to access the file?
    2.) Does the path have a space in it so that it needs to be surrounded by quotation marks?
    3.) Can you access the file via shortcut with a different logon?

Joe[/quote]

Yes he has permissions because I can go to Open and the file will open fine manually.
    It has quotations marks and these shortcuts are new made with the shortcut command
    Didn't try a different login on that computer, but they work fine on all other PCs.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='kzkz' post='777097' date='26-May-2009 20:00']Yes he has permissions because I can go to Open and the file will open fine manually.
    It has quotations marks and these shortcuts are new made with the shortcut command
    Didn't try a different login on that computer, but they work fine on all other PCs.[/quote]

1.) Can you post a screenshot of the shortcut properties?
    2.) Can you create a shortcut somewhere else on that PC for the same file and have it work for this user?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='777106' date='27-May-2009 02:54']1.) Can you post a screenshot of the shortcut properties?
    2.) Can you create a shortcut somewhere else on that PC for the same file and have it work for this user?

Joe[/quote]

OK, I'll do that at work tomorrow.

Sounds like a login permission or something doesn't it? I've never seen a shortcut not work though.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='kzkz' post='777107' date='27-May-2009 03:18']OK, I'll do that at work tomorrow.

Sounds like a login permission or something doesn't it? I've never seen a shortcut not work though.[/quote]

The screenshots are attached.

I can create a shortcut to an item on the local drive, but not the network.

Also, each time I open up any MS applicaiton it pops up saying "preparing to install", but then continues to open it.

In the file manager, there is a directory for each of the login names available for this PC. There are two for this name, the active one ends in ".000", but the control panel only lists one.

When I loged in as a different user, everything seemed to work OK as far as all shortcuts.

What next?
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The 000 in the user name suggests a corruption in the user's profile. I have seen this kind of profile created when the user is not able to get their profile from the server and is logged in with a temporary one.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='777204' date='27-May-2009 22:43']The 000 in the user name suggests a corruption in the user's profile. I have seen this kind of profile created when the user is not able to get their profile from the server and is logged in with a temporary one.[/quote]

OK, that makes sense. How do I fix this?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='kzkz' post='777256' date='28-May-2009 03:37']OK, that makes sense. How do I fix this?[/quote]

I did a little bit of research and logged in as Admin and deleted the .000 account and removed it from the user directory and even deleted it from the registry. When I logged in as another user after that it created a .000 for that account too. I then fully deleted that name and changed the login name for the network so that it's a totally new login name and still it doesn't give it rights to the shortcuts (even though it sees the network fine). Each time I open up any program it still says "preparing to install".

Any fix for this or is it time for a reformat/install?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='kzkz' post='777327' date='29-May-2009 02:48']Each time I open up any program it still says "preparing to install".[/quote]
    What version of Office are you running?
    Does the new user account have admin permissions?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='777390' date='29-May-2009 00:11']What version of Office are you running?
    Does the new user account have admin permissions?[/quote]

Office XP is the version.

There are even functions within Quickbooks that don't work right too.
    Yes, the user has all admin rights.

Completed a full AV scan this afternoon. Nothing found.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='kzkz' post='777402' date='29-May-2009 04:15']Office XP is the version.

There are even functions within Quickbooks that don't work right too.
    Yes, the user has all admin rights.

Completed a full AV scan this afternoon. Nothing found.[/quote]

Had to reinstall windows after a full reformat. Even tried a repair and that didn't work.

Got it all up and running now fine. Wish there was a faster fix.