Thread: FIXMBR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Several weeks ago, I installed Mint 6 Linux as a trial, with dual booting. I now wish to completely remove Mint 6 prior to making a clean install of Mint 7. This will require me to remove the dual boot.

Seems all I need to do is run FIXMBR from the Recovery Console. Sounds too easy, and I'm a little scared. Should I be worried?

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wartaaids' post='777122' date='27-May-2009 04:26']Several weeks ago, I installed Mint 6 Linux as a trial, with dual booting. I now wish to completely remove Mint 6 prior to making a clean install of Mint 7. This will require me to remove the dual boot.

Seems all I need to do is run FIXMBR from the Recovery Console. Sounds too easy, and I'm a little scared. Should I be worried?[/quote]
    Sheesh, I don't know the answer because I don't use Linux, BUT I offer this as an example. I run a triple boot machine using Vista Boot Pro as the boot management tool. The machine contains XP, Vista and Windows 7 on two physical hard drives. When it came time to remove the Win7 Beta and install the Win7 RC, I simple wiped its partition and then installed the Win7 RC. Never a hitch.

I don't know what would happen if you were to wipe the Mint 6 partition and install Mint 7 in its place and not mess with FIXMBR. If you've got a good image backup, I think I'd try.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wartaaids' post='777122' date='27-May-2009 09:26']Several weeks ago, I installed Mint 6 Linux as a trial, with dual booting. I now wish to completely remove Mint 6 prior to making a clean install of Mint 7. This will require me to remove the dual boot.

Seems all I need to do is run FIXMBR from the Recovery Console. Sounds too easy, and I'm a little scared. Should I be worried?

Chris[/quote]

I am unclear as to whether you are planning to keep Windows as well as Mint 7. But if you are, (if I remember my forays into dual-booting windows and ubuntu) I think that once the installation is done, then the Grub bootloader list needs to be edited to remove the bits you don't want. This link is for Ubuntu, but the principles are similar for other Linuxes.
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jon and Al for your responses.

[quote name='jonWallace' post='777166' date='27-May-2009 22:50']I am unclear as to whether you are planning to keep Windows as well as Mint 7.[/quote]
    Basically I want to get back to pre-Mint install, wit Windows XP-Home as the only operating system, and therefore booting direct to Windows. I will totally remove the Linux partition and return it to Windows, before reinstalling Mint to a new partition.

My only concern is to change the boot from the dual boot with Mint to single boot with Windows. Earlier searching indicated that I will need to run FIXMBR from the Recovery Console to reset the booting. My worry is that I have never used FIXMBR before and I'm afraid it might leave me with a dead machine. I hoped that perhaps someone might have some experience with FIXMBR which might increase my comfort level (or not, as the case may be!).

Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='wartaaids' post='777208' date='27-May-2009 17:58']My worry is that I have never used FIXMBR before and I'm afraid it might leave me with a dead machine. I hoped that perhaps someone might have some experience with FIXMBR which might increase my comfort level (or not, as the case may be!).[/quote]

FIXMBR should be innocuous in your case. Running it from the recovery console should reset the boot block on the HD to the state when Windows is first installed.

If you are concerned backup your system before you attempt this.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='wartaaids' post='777208' date='27-May-2009 18:58']Thanks, Jon and Al for your responses.

Basically I want to get back to pre-Mint install, wit Windows XP-Home as the only operating system, and therefore booting direct to Windows. I will totally remove the Linux partition and return it to Windows, before reinstalling Mint to a new partition.

My only concern is to change the boot from the dual boot with Mint to single boot with Windows. Earlier searching indicated that I will need to run FIXMBR from the Recovery Console to reset the booting. My worry is that I have never used FIXMBR before and I'm afraid it might leave me with a dead machine. I hoped that perhaps someone might have some experience with FIXMBR which might increase my comfort level (or not, as the case may be!).

Chris[/quote]
    Why don't you simply run MSCONFIG.EXE in Windows. On the "Boot" tab, highlight the OS (Mint) you wish to remove and press the "Delete" button. Do remove the Linux partition.
    Regards,
    PaulB

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='777236' date='28-May-2009 08:01']Why don't you simply run MSCONFIG.EXE in Windows. On the "Boot" tab, highlight the OS (Mint) you wish to remove and press the "Delete" button. Do remove the Linux partition.[/quote]
    It appears that this is only possible for different Windows operating systems. The Linux option does not appear in BOOT.INI. It seems that the Windows/Linux options are determined by the boot record, prior to BOOT.INI being accessed. Thus it is necessary to return the master boot record to its original state, using FIXMBR.

Just tried this on a 'test' computer that has a single OS. It told me that the boot record was different, and warned me that running FIXMBR might cause problems. However, after running it, all seemed OK.

I think I'll take a chance with my main computer. It is all backed up...

Chris

Thanks
    [quote name='wartaaids' post='777405' date='29-May-2009 00:59']It appears that this is only possible for different Windows operating systems. The Linux option does not appear in BOOT.INI.[/quote]

Thanks for reporting back. I learned something new today!
    Regards,
    PaulB

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to close this off. I have just successfully removed the dual boot with Mint, using FIXMBR from the Recovery Console. As with my previous test, I received a warning that my MBR was not standard, and running FIXMBR could result in a brick, but all went well, and the computer booted up as normal in a single boot mode.

Now I feel more confident to install the new Mint 7 Linux...

Thanks, friends, for input...

Chris