Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,

I am having the weirdest thing happen to me in Word 2007. I downloaded a template for taking meeting minutes. In the template, there are several "I bars" displayed in different parts of the file. I am unable to delete them even when showing the formatting. I saved the file as a .doc and opened it in Word 2003 and the mysterious "I bars" are gone. I renamed and saved the document and opened it again in 2007 and the "I bars" are still there. Any suggestions on getting rid of them? Thanks!

Thanks
    [quote name='officechallenged' post='777170' date='27-May-2009 14:07']Hello all,

I am having the weirdest thing happen to me in Word 2007. I downloaded a template for taking meeting minutes. In the template, there are several "I bars" displayed in different parts of the file. I am unable to delete them even when showing the formatting. I saved the file as a .doc and opened it in Word 2003 and the mysterious "I bars" are gone. I renamed and saved the document and opened it again in 2007 and the "I bars" are still there. Any suggestions on getting rid of them? Thanks![/quote]
    Can you post back with a screen shot of these "I bars"?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='officechallenged' post='777170' date='27-May-2009 14:07']Hello all,

I am having the weirdest thing happen to me in Word 2007. I downloaded a template for taking meeting minutes. In the template, there are several "I bars" displayed in different parts of the file. I am unable to delete them even when showing the formatting. I saved the file as a .doc and opened it in Word 2003 and the mysterious "I bars" are gone. I renamed and saved the document and opened it again in 2007 and the "I bars" are still there. Any suggestions on getting rid of them? Thanks![/quote]

Sounds like you have bookmarks in your document... Since you're working with a template, it makes sense in terms of "placeholders" for different pieces of your meeting minutes. Removing these bookmarks could adversely affect the behavior of your template! But removing them is possible:
    Insert ribbon > Bookmarks.
    Highlight a bookmark name in the list and then click the DELETE button.

Sadly, I think you need to do this one at a time. I don't know of a "global" way to get rid of them without using code.

Hope this helps!
    Melanie

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='777172' date='27-May-2009 18:12']Can you post back with a screen shot of these "I bars"?[/quote]

I can't seem to paste the screenshot in the message box. I've uploaded a .bmp of the image. I did open the document on another computer with Word 2007 and the marks where not there. I'm guessing it's some setting on the local machine. Any advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Those I-bars are bookmark indicators. They can be made visible or invisible as follows:
    - Click the Office button.
    - Select Word Options.
    - Click Advanced...
    - Tick or clear the "Show bookmarks" check box under Show document content.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='MMMorrow' post='777175' date='27-May-2009 18:43']Sounds like you have bookmarks in your document... Since you're working with a template, it makes sense in terms of "placeholders" for different pieces of your meeting minutes. Removing these bookmarks could adversely affect the behavior of your template! But removing them is possible:
    Insert ribbon > Bookmarks.
    Highlight a bookmark name in the list and then click the DELETE button.

Sadly, I think you need to do this one at a time. I don't know of a "global" way to get rid of them without using code.

Hope this helps!
    Melanie[/quote]

That worked to remove the bookmarks. This is good as I didn't need them (I'm not really sure why the template was creating using them). I realized that I have "Show Bookmarks" checked in the Advanced Tab. Who knows how these things get checked...

Thanks for the help!!!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='officechallenged' post='777179' date='28-May-2009 04:59']That worked to remove the bookmarks. This is good as I didn't need them (I'm not really sure why the template was creating using them). I realized that I have "Show Bookmarks" checked in the Advanced Tab. Who knows how these things get checked...

Thanks for the help!!![/quote]
    Hi officechallenged,

Deleting the bookmarks before finding out what they're for isn't a smart thing to do. If there were cross-references to any of them (which is usually the reason they exist), the cross-reference links will now be broken.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='macropod' post='777226' date='28-May-2009 01:09']Deleting the bookmarks before finding out what they're for isn't a smart thing to do. If there were cross-references to any of them (which is usually the reason they exist), the cross-reference links will now be broken.[/quote]
    Looking at the screen shot in Post 777176, these bookmarks did not have any content, they look like they may have been used to identify the column headings in a table. I would guess they are used by a macro that either adds rows to the table, or translates the table headings to another language, or something similar.