New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm starting a book in Microsoft Word 2007 that will use cross references to topics like "see "Boiling Water" on page 9." I understand how to create the cross reference (twice) to reference both the heading and the page number.

Every once in awhile, a cross reference messes up when a field update occurs, and a particular cross reference displays a bunch of text around the heading and not just the heading itself. I think this may occur because I've reorganized topics after inserting cross references. Usually, reinserting the cross reference seems to fix the problem.

Sometimes I move a topic by selecting the topic paragraphs from one heading to right before the next heading, cutting it, and pasting it in a different location. Other times, I've used Outline View to move the headings around, which reorganizes the material. I suspect that either one or both of these methods might be leaving behind the invisible bookmark that makes the cross reference work.

My questions for all you experienced Word users: is it a known problem that reorganizing text by either of the above methods can result in messed up cross references? Is there a safe procedure for using cut/paste and Outline View to move text around? There doesn't seem to be any way to make these invisible bookmarks visible to make sure they are staying with text that's moved.

Thanks for your help.

-Russ

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Moving or cutting and pasting text including an entire heading paragraph shouldn't affect cross references. Word creates a hidden bookmark for the heading paragraph when you insert a cross reference to this paragraph, and this bookmark will travel with the text.

But you have to be careful that you don't include more in the heading paragraph than you intended. For example, if you position the insertion point at the beginning of a heading paragraph and insert a page or section break, the break will belong to the heading paragraph and hence be included in the cross reference.

And if you apply direct formatting to part of a heading paragraph to make it look like ordinary text, it will still belong to the heading paragraph and hence be included in the cross reference too. (You can remove direct character formatting by selecting text and pressing Ctrl+space bar)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the quick reply! I haven't done any of the things you caution about, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled by having "Field Shading" set to "Always" in the Word Options > Advanced dialog box. If it happens again, I'll see if I can figure out what I'm doing to make this happen.

If anyone has other ideas, please post! Thanks.

-Russ

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='Russdw' post='777186' date='28-May-2009 05:58']Thank you for the quick reply! I haven't done any of the things you caution about, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled by having "Field Shading" set to "Always" in the Word Options > Advanced dialog box. If it happens again, I'll see if I can figure out what I'm doing to make this happen.

If anyone has other ideas, please post! Thanks.

-Russ[/quote]
    Hi Russ,

Under Word Options|Advanced|Show Document Content, check the 'Show bookmarks' option. That will help to to be aware of when you're working with bookmarked text.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,

Apparently, the bookmarks that get inserted when one creates a cross reference remain invisible even when Word Options are set to show bookmarks. The only way to see the bookmarks that I'm aware of is in the Bookmarks dialog box. However, viewing this list won't prevent me from accidentally deleting them or leaving them behind when I'm making editing changes. (Although I still not sure if separating bookmarks from heading paragraphs is the cause of my occasional cross reference problem.)

Thanks for the tip.

-Russ

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='Russdw' post='777227' date='28-May-2009 10:19']Paul,

Apparently, the bookmarks that get inserted when one creates a cross reference remain invisible even when Word Options are set to show bookmarks. The only way to see the bookmarks that I'm aware of is in the Bookmarks dialog box. However, viewing this list won't prevent me from accidentally deleting them or leaving them behind when I'm making editing changes. (Although I still not sure if separating bookmarks from heading paragraphs is the cause of my occasional cross reference problem.)

Thanks for the tip.

-Russ[/quote]
    Hi Russ,

Yes, that's true. I was thinking of the user-inserted bookmarks.

With the bookmarks created by cross-referencing Headings, etc, you need to avoid hitting the Enter key at the end of those heading paragraphs after creating the cross-reference; otherwise the bookmark gets extended. As Hans said, you need to be be careful with copy/paste operations too.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='macropod' post='777244' date='27-May-2009 18:41']Hi Russ,

Yes, that's true. I was thinking of the user-inserted bookmarks.

With the bookmarks created by cross-referencing Headings, etc, you need to avoid hitting the Enter key at the end of those heading paragraphs after creating the cross-reference; otherwise the bookmark gets extended. As Hans said, you need to be be careful with copy/paste operations too.[/quote]

Pressing the Enter key of the end of headings is probably the culprit. I know I've probably done that on occasion, and now I'll stop! Thanks to everyone for the advice.

-Russ