Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm kind of expecting cries of "don't do it", but....... Are there safe ways of p2p file sharing.

I use my computer a lot for work and study, as well as entertainment, and I do not want to compromise the security of my data etc by getting into this stuff. I would appreciate some opinions, however controversial.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Frankly, I don't know what the current situation is. I've always avoided P2P file sharing programs - in the past, popular ones such as Kazaa tried to install malware on your PC.

Some stuff to read: P2P Security - OnGuard Online

Thanks
    [quote name='VegasNath' post='777187' date='27-May-2009 13:24']Are there safe ways of p2p file sharing.[/quote]
    Surely it is theoretically possible to design a p2p client that exposes only a limited amount of your hard drive and is kept free of vulnerabilities, and to operate a network that does not abuse your internet connection to distribute illicit materials. Is there any such client/network? I would be reluctant to install any such products to do that research myself.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Many of us who have had computers for some time have more than one. The 'old' computer, if you happen to have one (or more) is a convenient bit of hardware for experiments, using disposable accounts

On the other hand, I think legalities, to the extent that any of us is aware of them (I just bought the Brooklyn Bridge again in the last checkbox I clicked on), should be observed. If it's illegal, don't do it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='VegasNath' post='777187' date='27-May-2009 16:24']I'm kind of expecting cries of "don't do it", but....... Are there safe ways of p2p file sharing.[/quote]
    Hans mentioned Kazaa and my example goes a bit further back than that to the old dialup modem days. I was "almost" stung by the law on THREE different occasions because someone I shared something with, did something illegal with it. The only thing that saved my A*S*S was that I had proof of what and when I did what I did.

Ever since those days, I wouldn't touch any kind of "sharing" situation with a ten-foot pole.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='VegasNath' post='777187' date='27-May-2009 15:24']I'm kind of expecting cries of "don't do it", but....... Are there safe ways of p2p file sharing.

I use my computer a lot for work and study, as well as entertainment, and I do not want to compromise the security of my data etc by getting into this stuff. I would appreciate some opinions, however controversial.[/quote]

You might want to set up a virtual machine with some very strict limits and only run the p2p software in the VM .

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Jumping in late here, but being in a somewhat similar situation here is what I have done.
    I use Microsoft's Live SkyDrive. I upload the files that I want from my personal computer to a locked folder that isn't shared, and can then access them from my company laptop to download them. I can also upload from my company laptop to Skydrive. For some reason they seemed to feel that all of Microsoft's sites are safe and haven't blocked them.
    I took it one step further, and purchased a peripheral switch, and have that connected to my printer so I can use my personal printer as well, but that is a different story.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)