4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just got a new Dell XPS laptop. I want to run a video in a PPT slideshow. I've done this on my old laptop many times before.

The video is in AVI format and is quite large, 1.2 GB. I put it on a slide, using Insert, Movies and Sounds, Movie from File, select run automatically. Once I start the slide show, the video starts, I can see it for 1 or 2 seconds and then the screen goes black. I can still hear the soundtrack, so I know it is playing. Is the file just too large? I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Probably a codec issue.

On your old laptop Windows knew how to handle that kind of AVI movie (there are a number of versions). On your new laptop it does not. You can think of codecs as "drivers for movies".

I used to use the Combined Community Codec Pack, but I've heard people complain about how it may be bloated or even a bit buggy - it provides codecs for lots of formats.
    DivX's free drivers would be next on my list of suggestions, but it only handles .AVI, .MKV (Matroska Video), and of course .DIVX. Honestly though, that should be plenty for casual use.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I solved the problem. It doesn't make any sense to me but it seems to work, so I thought I would share what I did.

The original file was in .VOB format, to run on a DVD on a tv. I converted it to .AVI, using Premiere Elements. I didn't change anything, just opened it in Premiere Elements and then output it as AVI. It went from a 300 MB file to a 1.2 GB file and that's when I got the behavior described previously.

I had read at one time that you could change a VOB to MPG by just changing the extension. I did that and now it seems to run fine. I don't get it but it works, so I guess I will go with it.