4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

A question regarding spacing and headers. I found that the 'spacing before' is sort of 'ignored' if the paragraph is after the header on a new page. Let me explain - I think the pictures will probably say it more clearer than the desciption.

The style Heading 2 is set with 'spacing before' of 18 points but it is ignored if the Heading 2 is the first paragraph on a new page. If another paragraph (say Normal) is before it then the spacing is correctly set. Do I need to change/set any options? I can't see what to set though.

EDIT: Actually this spacing issue applies to any kind of paragraph, i.e. Normal, Heading 2, etc.

[attachment=84018:H2_plus_heading_1.png]

[attachment=84019:H2_plus_heading_2.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This behavior is by design. If you really want the "space before" to be displayed at the top of the page, you must insert a page break or section break before the paragraph, either manually through the Insert | Break menu item, or by specifying "Page break before" in the "Line and Page Breaks" tab of the Format | Paragraph dialog (or in the style definition).

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='robie' post='777423' date='29-May-2009 20:11']Hi

A question regarding spacing and headers. I found that the 'spacing before' is sort of 'ignored' if the paragraph is after the header on a new page. Let me explain - I think the pictures will probably say it more clearer than the desciption.

The style Heading 2 is set with 'spacing before' of 18 points but it is ignored if the Heading 2 is the first paragraph on a new page. If another paragraph (say Normal) is before it then the spacing is correctly set. Do I need to change/set any options? I can't see what to set though.

EDIT: Actually this spacing issue applies to any kind of paragraph, i.e. Normal, Heading 2, etc.[/quote]
    Hi robie,

Go to Tools|Options|Compatability and see whether the 'suppress extra line spacing at top of page' option is checked. If so, uncheck it.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='macropod' post='777426' date='29-May-2009 12:36']Go to Tools|Options|Compatability and see whether the 'suppress extra line spacing at top of page' option is checked. If so, uncheck it.[/quote]
    That occurred to me too, but it doesn't affect suppressing the "space before" of the paragraph - at least not in my Word 2002.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='777425' date='29-May-2009 11:36']This behavior is by design. If you really want the "space before" to be displayed at the top of the page, you must insert a page break or section break before the paragraph, either manually through the Insert | Break menu item, or by specifying "Page break before" in the "Line and Page Breaks" tab of the Format | Paragraph dialog (or in the style definition).[/quote]

Hmm! I don't understand the rationale behind it though. Why not treat a paragraph style as set up? I just want a Heading 2 or any style for that matter to look exactly same wherever it is in the document!
    Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow

[quote name='macropod' post='777426' date='29-May-2009 11:36']Hi robie,

Go to Tools|Options|Compatability and see whether the 'suppress extra line spacing at top of page' option is checked. If so, uncheck it.[/quote]

I have looked and it is already unchecked!
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Many people don't like extra space above a paragraph at the top of a page. They prefer the text to begin at the same distance from the top of the page whether it's a heading paragraph or a body text paragraph.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='777435' date='29-May-2009 12:55']Many people don't like extra space above a paragraph at the top of a page. They prefer the text to begin at the same distance from the top of the page whether it's a heading paragraph or a body text paragraph.[/quote]

[rant on]
    In that case they (Microsoft) should have provided an option to switch on/off space above the paragraph. Surely, a choice would be better. ah well.
    [rant off]
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='robie' post='777436' date='29-May-2009 14:32']In that case they (Microsoft) should have provided an option to switch on/off space above the paragraph. Surely, a choice would be better. ah well. [/quote]
    I agree! But as it is, you'll have to insert a break before the paragraph, which isn't very attractive...

Thanks
    [quote name='robie' post='777436' date='29-May-2009 05:32']In that case they (Microsoft) should have provided an option to switch on/off space above the paragraph. Surely, a choice would be better.[/quote]
    Many of the seemingly strange ways that Word handles space before and after paragraphs were introduced in Word 2000 when the program was adapted to be more suitable for editing and displaying HTML. The mixing of word processing and browser layout rules has created all sorts of gotchas over the years, but by tweaking the Compatibility settings, you often can get the behavior you want.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='robie' post='777436' date='29-May-2009 22:32'][rant on]
    In that case they (Microsoft) should have provided an option to switch on/off space above the paragraph. Surely, a choice would be better. ah well.
    [rant off][/quote]
    Hi robie,

The facility MS has supplied is in the formatting of the header paragraph - changing its following space controls the gap between it and the text in the body of the document.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='777486' date='29-May-2009 15:31']Many of the seemingly strange ways that Word handles space before and after paragraphs were introduced in Word 2000 when the program was adapted to be more suitable for editing and displaying HTML. The mixing of word processing and browser layout rules has created all sorts of gotchas over the years, but by tweaking the Compatibility settings, you often can get the behavior you want.[/quote]
    While what you say may be true, in this case is was more likely a concession to former users of more typographically capable word processors, who were demanding it. In bookwork and formal documents, you definitely would not keep such spacing at the top of a page. And if a "sink" or drop is called for in a chapter heading, the distance to the baseline would be much larger, more like 2 or 3 inches. Taking out that space before--and then having to put it back if the pages shifted--was a royal pain.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I agree with Pam's comment to the effect that for publishing, you'd rarely want that extra space above enforced at the top of a continuation page.

Looking at your original screenshot sample, I'd say the problem is with the way you've got the header content set up - just add some space (in the header, not in the body of the document) after the ruled line that's at the bottom of the header - that will work gracefully with the way Word handles spacing at the top of continuation pages.