Thread: Recycle Bin

Thanks
    During some regular maintenance a while back, I may have turned on (or off) some feature or setting that now causes the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop to remain static. If it is initially empty and I add something to it, it still shows empty. If it shows full and I empty it, it still shows full. If I manually refresh the desktop, it will show its correct state, but it does not do this automatically. What have I done and how can I correct this?

I'm running Vista Ultimate SP2 up-to-date. This is not a SP2 issue... the problem was there before I installed it.

Thanks.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='777504' date='29-May-2009 17:14'][/quote]
    Paul,
    This might work. RIGHT click on an empty area of the desktop and choose "personalize". When the next window opens, select "Change desktop icons" (under tasks). Uncheck the Recycle Bin, apply and OK out. Follow the same procedure, only this time Check the Recycle Bin. This may reset it. Alternatively, you may simply click on the Recycle Bin (Full) icon and select "Restore Default". Do the same with the Recycle Bin (empty) icon.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestions, John. Unfortunately, neither one worked. I will continue my search...
    Regards,
    PaulB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='777504' date='29-May-2009 17:14']... the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop to remain static ...[/quote]
    I meant to write this earlier and forgot. I don't know if this is entirely a Vista problem. I haven't had it happen in Vista BUT on very rare occasion, it has happened to me in XP MCE. As I said, it has been so rare that I never investigated it. Like you, I was able to correct it by a desktop refresh (F5).

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='777545' date='29-May-2009 22:55']Thanks for your suggestions, John. Unfortunately, neither one worked. I will continue my search...[/quote]
    How about this suggestion Paul?
    Edited to add: or how about this MS article?
    John

Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='777588' date='30-May-2009 11:08']How about this suggestion Paul?
    Edited to add: or how about this MS article?[/quote]

Thanks, John. I tried your second suggestion (MS article) first and it worked. This is the first time I've used Microsoft's FixIt solution and I'm impressed. Al, if you still have the problem, this solution apparently works with XP also.

Again, thanks!
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='777592' date='30-May-2009 12:08']Thanks, John. I tried your second suggestion (MS article) first and it worked. This is the first time I've used Microsoft's FixIt solution and I'm impressed. Al, if you still have the problem, this solution apparently works with XP also.

Again, thanks![/quote]
    Glad to hear it worked Paul.
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You made my day. Thanks a lot!!!

I want to thank you all for the help with my missing Recycle Bin.
    It disappeared the first day I got Vista, and I have deeply missed the automatic showing of full and empty.
    Have used the update and always wondered how to get it back.
    Oh by the way I used the second suggestion first, so therefore haven't tried the other one.
    Thanks again!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='777592' date='30-May-2009 12:08']... Al, if you still have the problem, this solution apparently works with XP also...[/quote]
    Thanks to you and John! I've downloaded the fix from MS to my XP and Vista drives but haven't run it yet.