4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For some reason when l use an ftp program such as ace ftp or ws ftp i am unable to ftp programs as l get a timeout error.

Yet when l try to use a web based program to ftp programs it works fine.

I am baffled as to why this?/

See atachment for error.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    [quote name='jj1972' post='777677' date='31-May-2009 18:13']For some reason when l use an ftp program such as ace ftp or ws ftp i am unable to ftp programs as l get a timeout error.

See atachment for error.[/quote]
    Try increasing the timeout time in your ftp application.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jj1972' post='777677' date='31-May-2009 18:13']For some reason when l use an ftp program such as ace ftp or ws ftp i am unable to ftp programs as l get a timeout error.

See atachment for error.[/quote]
    What type of network are you connected to? Is it a corporate network or a basic home network.

I see from the screen shot that your ftp program is set to run in passive mode. Try turning this off as it requires extra ports to be open in your firewall.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='777844' date='01-Jun-2009 18:57']What type of network are you connected to? Is it a corporate network or a basic home network.

I see from the screen shot that your ftp program is set to run in passive mode. Try turning this off as it requires extra ports to be open in your firewall.[/quote]

I am using a home network.

I tried turning pasive mode off , it appeared to connect a bit better but when l click on web space l got another error.
    It did eventually open directory up to show files,is there anything else l can try so l can open directories in web space quicker? As it appears to show error when l click on directory in web space.

see attached.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    [quote name='jj1972' post='777857' date='01-Jun-2009 11:56']It did eventually open directory up to show files,is there anything else l can try so l can open directories in web space quicker? As it appears to show error when l click on directory in web space.[/quote]
    Some sites are slow when you access them with an FTP client, especially if you have a lot of files and folders. I'm not sure there is any solution for that, but you could check with your web host and see whether they have any suggestions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jj1972' post='777857' date='01-Jun-2009 19:56']I am using a home network.

I tried turning pasive mode off , it appeared to connect a bit better but when l click on web space l got another error.
    It did eventually open directory up to show files,is there anything else l can try so l can open directories in web space quicker? As it appears to show error when l click on directory in web space.

see attached.

Thanks for your help.[/quote]
    I guess it could be a problem with your ftp client, what are you using?

Have you tried going to a high performance public ftp server like ftp://ftp.hq.nasa.gov/. This might help you to tell if the problem is at your end or at the server.