5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there,

Anyone know what the name of the command is for the character?

I ask because I'd like to associate a keyword shortcut with it (Ribbon / Word Options / Customize / Keyboard shortcuts: Customize / Categories: All Commands).

I'm using Word 2007.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The character is called an em-dash
    The keyboard shortcut for this is Alt+Control+Num- (the minus key on the numeric keypad)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Stuart. Two things:

1. Any idea where Num- is on a (Dell) laptop?

2. I see commands for InsertEmSpace and InsertEnSpace, but nothing for InsertEmDash; see screen shot attached.

[attachment=84041:emdash.JPG]

Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    He's saying that there's already a "shortcut" for it: Ctrl+Alt+Num-. You don't need to assign one on your own.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Damian. Did you see my first follow-up question?

1. Any idea where Num- is on a (Dell) laptop?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Jon5' post='777738' date='01-Jun-2009 08:30']1. Any idea where Num- is on a (Dell) laptop?[/quote]

Don't have a Dell, but normally it's at Fn-; There's probably a 'virtual' keypad, with figures on the top-right of the keys, for example covering keys 7890, UIOP, JKL;, M.+ (or perhaps similar) accessed by hitting the Fn (Function) key, somewhere on the bottom-left of the keyboard, together with the associated key.

Chris

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Jon5' post='777738' date='31-May-2009 18:30']Thanks, Damian. Did you see my first follow-up question?

1. Any idea where Num- is on a (Dell) laptop?[/quote]
    I saw it. I'm sure I did. Must have noticed.

It really depends. Sometimes the Numpad keys are written in orange (on top of normal keyboard keys). The Lenovo I have has them written in white on the bottom-right corner of the keys, but it might be orange in the top-right.

However it is, there'll be a key with a - written on it (beside the normal -/_ key). To type it you'd use the Fn key by Ctrl and Alt.
    So you'd be hitting Ctrl+Alt+Fn+(some key). For the Lenovo it's the :/; key but in general it's somewhere near 'P'.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Jon5' post='777724' date='01-Jun-2009 09:33']1. Any idea where Num- is on a (Dell) laptop?
    2. I see commands for InsertEmSpace and InsertEnSpace, but nothing for InsertEmDash; see screen shot attached.[/quote]
    On a laptop the number pad keys may be accessible through the Fn-P or similar since some laptops map a functional numberpad to keys on the right side of the letters. This is the case on my laptop keyboard (not a Dell). I don't use this way though and prefer to use Alt-0150 or Alt-0151 to put in n and m dashs.

I would create a button by adding the dash as an autotext entry and then placing that on the toolbar. A better option would be to edit the autocorrect settings to allow Word to change something else to an n or m dash. There is a setting for autoformat which converts a double dash to n dashs.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    [quote name='Jon5' post='777738' date='31-May-2009 18:30']1. Any idea where Num- is on a (Dell) laptop?[/quote]
    The numeric keypad, such as it is, consists of a grid of light blue numbers/characters. Hold Fn plus the other necessary keys before tapping a key on the "numeric keypad." If you use Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, you will get very used to this for zooming and unzooming images.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Rather than 'All Commands', try 'Common Symbols' at the bottom of the same list:

[attachment=84057:InsertEmDash.JPG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for everyone for all your help.

It turns out that I need to press four keys to insert an em dash: Ctrl + Fn + Alt + (the key that contains the following three characters: : ; -).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Jon5' post='778145' date='03-Jun-2009 12:19']Thanks for everyone for all your help.

It turns out that I need to press four keys to insert an em dash: Ctrl + Fn + Alt + (the key that contains the following three characters: : ; -).[/quote]

That is exactly the same combination of keys that I have to press on my HP laptop.