New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been scratching my head on this one for a while now. Since I installed Word 2007 at home, I have been unable to activate the feature that suggests the date while you're typing. Here's what I used to do in Word 2003:
    1) Start typing "Monday, J..." (without the ellipses or quotes)
    2) The suggestion pops up for "Monday, June 1, 2009"
    3) I press ENTER and the date is placed in my document

I cannot figure out how to enable this in Word 2007, nor what it's called. It doesn't appear to be something in the AutoText nor an AutoCorrect settings, but I might be mistaken. My office computer (not this one) has this feature enabled. Any idea what setting controls this? This has been absolutely bugging me for months now.

Thanks.

Rob

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I use the Quick Access Toolbar, which you can add if you don't already have it. Among the shortcuts you can add if you do a bit of digging is Date and Time..., which will insert the present date (and time) in whatever form and format you set it up for, and Date Picker, which will show you a calendar from which you can look up and insert whichever date you select from that.

This gives you far more control than that intrusive automatic date-guesser, which I hated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    In addition to peterg's reply, see Post 777434 in a recent topic.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='777768' date='01-Jun-2009 10:54']In addition to peterg's reply, see Post 777434 in a recent topic.[/quote]

Thanks, but this link (now that I've tried its instructions) doesn't seem to have the desired effect either.

The part that really confuses me about this topic is that my work laptop had this feature turned on, and it worked just like in Word `03. I simply cannot find this anywhere in any online help from Microsoft, nor in any of the settings anywhere.

Any further ideas?

Thanks.

Rob

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have Word 2007, so I can't test these settings myself. Perhaps someone else will have a useful suggestion.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if this will work for you -- autocompletion of dates is working in my version of Word 2007 (and so far I haven't found any configuration option where you can turn it off or on) -- but it might be worth a try. In my version, the autocomplete prompt for the full date appears if I type "Monday," (i.e., the day of the week followed by a comma). Even if you are not getting the prompt, try typing "Monday," (obviously without the quotation marks) and then press F3. Any luck?

I read one post somewhere on the 'net that seemed to suggest that the feature worked properly when the person was logged in as an Administrator but didn't work otherwise. Could that be relevant in your situation?

Let us know.

Jan

Author, "Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007"
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='777807' date='01-Jun-2009 16:25']I don't have Word 2007, so I can't test these settings myself. Perhaps someone else will have a useful suggestion.[/quote]

Lucky you. I still have my old version of Office `03 sitting around somewhere, and I'm tempted to go through the hassle of uninstalling 07 so that I can go back and reinstall both (I know you have to install `03 first if you plan to keep both). Tempting.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='777837' date='01-Jun-2009 18:41']Not sure if this will work for you -- autocompletion of dates is working in my version of Word 2007 (and so far I haven't found any configuration option where you can turn it off or on) -- but it might be worth a try. In my version, the autocomplete prompt for the full date appears if I type "Monday," (i.e., the day of the week followed by a comma). Even if you are not getting the prompt, try typing "Monday," (obviously without the quotation marks) and then press F3. Any luck?

I read one post somewhere on the 'net that seemed to suggest that the feature worked properly when the person was logged in as an Administrator but didn't work otherwise. Could that be relevant in your situation?

Let us know.

Jan

Author, "Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007"[/quote]

Thanks Jan. I just tried it and it didn't work. I'm also on Windows Vista, and my work PC is on Win XP. Wonder if that has something to do with it, although I'm quite certain I'm an admin on my home Vista machine.

On a side note, I checked out a couple pages of your book on Lulu.com. Good stuff. I worked for almost 10 years exclusively in law firms doing Word training and configuration, especially around the time of the great WP - Word switch in the late 90s / early 2000s. I may have to ask you your opinion on several Word 07 matters I've found most annoying at some point.

Let me know if you think of anything else on the configuration end for the AutoComplete dates. It's so odd that I cannot find this anywhere.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, drat. I was hoping that would serve as a workaround, at least.

Interesting that the machine where you're having trouble uses Vista. I'm not Vista-literate (yet), but perhaps it's a function of the OS. Very confusing. I'll let you know if I find out anything more, though I probably won't have time to do much additional research today. Definitely will follow this thread in any case. Now I'm really curious.

Appreciate your kind comments about my book. Thanks for taking a look!

By default, Lulu posts a preview of the first ten or so consecutive pages, which is pretty useless because it's all the prefatory material (copyright, etc.). I deliberately designed a custom preview that shows, among other pages, the entire Table of Contents.

Feel free to e-mail me with questions and I'll try to help if I can. You can write me at my business e-mail address, compusavvy AT earthlink DOT net. I'll respond as quickly as possible, although sometimes there will be a bit of a delay because of my work and/or training commitments.

Good luck with the autocomplete issue!

Jan

[quote name='Sixty_four' post='777842' date='01-Jun-2009 17:50']Thanks Jan. I just tried it and it didn't work. I'm also on Windows Vista, and my work PC is on Win XP. Wonder if that has something to do with it, although I'm quite certain I'm an admin on my home Vista machine.

On a side note, I checked out a couple pages of your book on Lulu.com. Good stuff. I worked for almost 10 years exclusively in law firms doing Word training and configuration, especially around the time of the great WP - Word switch in the late 90s / early 2000s. I may have to ask you your opinion on several Word 07 matters I've found most annoying at some point.

Let me know if you think of anything else on the configuration end for the AutoComplete dates. It's so odd that I cannot find this anywhere.[/quote]

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Sixty_four' post='777842' date='02-Jun-2009 01:50']Let me know if you think of anything else on the configuration end for the AutoComplete dates. It's so odd that I cannot find this anywhere.[/quote]

Since no one has mentioned it, let me at least draw to readers' attention the Insert tab (next to the Home tab), and, near the right end of that ribbon, in Text, we have Date & Time. Clicking on that gives you a box that offers choices for immediate use and/or to set a default, which can be overridden by bringing up and using the box while leaving the default unchanged.

In my case I just added the Date & Time (with my defaults) to the Quick Access Toolbar for a mouse, but a keyboard shortcut may be even better, and now I might assign one myself. This will give you today's date in your default format with a single click of the mouse or keyboard shortcut, with no need to start typing anything along the lines of a date.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I typically use a keyboard shortcut to insert a code for the current date -- either Alt Shift D (once I've set up my default date format in the Date & Time dialog) or Alt I, T, Enter. (Alt I, T invokes the Date & Time dialog and Enter inserts the date code according to the default I've chosen.)

However, there should be a way to enable autocomplete for dates, or at least to determine why it works in some versions of the program and not in others...

Jan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='777896' date='02-Jun-2009 08:27']However, there should be a way to enable autocomplete for dates, or at least to determine why it works in some versions of the program and not in others...[/quote]
    Word 2007's online help says the autocomplete on the date works by typing the first four letters of the current month then pressing enter followed by spacebar. This doesn't appear to work if your current month is only four letters or less. It also appears to not work if your page zoom is too great (see Word 2007 Bible Blog) which makes this feature one to generally avoid.

I would recommend you learn the Alt-Shift-D shortcut which is far more customisable, practical and repeatable.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Andrew,

Yes, in all versions of Word (including 2007) the autocomplete feature requires a minimum of four characters to trigger the prompt. What's weird about Rob's experience (and others I've seen reported on the web) is that the same abbreviation triggers the prompt on one computer and not on the other.

I'm curious to know what's going on here, though as I say, I typically use a keyboard shortcut to insert the date.

Jan

Thanks
    [quote name='Andrew Lockton' post='777916' date='02-Jun-2009 00:50']Word 2007's online help says the autocomplete on the date works by typing the first four letters of the current month then pressing enter followed by spacebar. This doesn't appear to work if your current month is only four letters or less.[/quote]
    Not very helpful in May, then!

Ian