Thread: Embedded file

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm reaching here with this question but wanted to ask the experts for their thoughts.

I have a workbook with several charts. The workbook has the capability to export any of the charts into power point. My company has recently come out with a new power point template that has the company logo and such on it. Several people have not loaded these templates into the default location for power point to be able to apply the template when exporting the charts.

My question is this. Is it possible to embed a power point template into my excel workbook and then once I detect that the user does not have this template saved in the default location on their pc. Copy this file to the default location so my charts can be exported into a power point slide that has the company logo.

The default location to save the powerpoint template is. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\Presentation Designs".

If this is possible, I'm trying to take this embedded file and move it to this location.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Wouldn't it be easier to store a copy of the template in a shared network folder (standard users would only need to have read access to it). You could then copy the template from the network folder to the user's templates folder.
    Alternatively, instruct the users to set their workgroup templates folder to the network folder.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I absolutly agree that would be easier. Unfortunatly my work does not see things the same way. Access to shared network folders is very restricted. Even for read only rights. My work has moved away from the common shared network folders and uses two types of storage systems. The primary storage system is a web based storage system that uses html addresses as apposed to the standard ServerName\foldername\foldername file paths. The other is a secured data server that users have to request access to, however the access is limited and does not allow anybody with out admin rights to even add a folder to these servers. This is why I'm trying to find a work around such as embedding the file and extracting it if needed.

Any thoughts on how I might be able to do this. I honestly did not expect this to be possible but figured I could ask.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sure it must be possible, but that's beyond my expertise.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No problem. Thanks for taking the time to respond.