3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My users are complaining about a document that, when they open it, is all jacked up with markups and text that shouldn't be there, etc. The reason that they are seeing all of that is because it's opening up in "Final Showing Markup" mode. If you change it to "Final", the document looks perfect. Now, I don't know who created this or what measure of markups the poor document went through to get to us, but this is a document that we plan to share out to our clients, in turn. SO ... I need the damn thing to open up in Final (perfect) view EVERY TIME. Is this possible? I thought that by simple opening it, changing it to Final, and saving / exiting it that it would help (since so many attributes of a document seem to be controlled by Last Save), but it seems to open differently on different computers, depending on their settings.

Sigh, and thanks,

Satiria

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The document contains tracked changes. To get rid of this:
    - Activate the Reviewing toolbar.
    - Make sure that the Track Changes button is off.
    - Click the little dropdown arrow on the right of the Accept Change button (the one with the blue check mark).
    - Select "Accept all changes in document" from the dropdown menu.
    - Save the document.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Hans - had turned off the Track Changes, but forgot the process of Accepting all the Changes.

- S

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='Satiria' post='777977' date='02-Jun-2009 10:11']Thanks Hans - had turned off the Track Changes, but forgot the process of Accepting all the Changes.

- S[/quote]
    If there are comments, you must also delete all comments in document.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a workaround, according to Microsoft -- if you are wanting to keep the mark-up changes (not accept or reject them), but not have them open visible when sending it to someone else

KB831771

You can change your Trust Center settings to turn off the "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving" -- however that setting is document-specific so would turn back on for next document.

pribb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Please note that the MSKB article says

Note If you save the file with the Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving option cleared, another user will see the markup text immediately when he or she opens the document. The other user must also clear the Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving option.
    Since you would be dependent on the recipient also clearing the Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving option, it is not very dependable. So it's much safer to accept all changes. (If you want to keep the version with the tracked changes, make a copy of the document before accepting them)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good point, Hans -- thanks for clarifying that further.

Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    So it's much safer to accept all changes. (If you want to keep the version with the tracked changes, make a copy of the document before accepting them)
    I agree with that statement (making a copy). And that's what I suggested to the user who also asked me this question that originally sent me in search of the KB article. But she was adament on wanting to use the workaround, even though it only made it so they would not appear on open on her document.

pribb