Thread: Printing to PDF

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [attachment=84067:Cubierta...__comic_.doc]I am using Word 2003 and have created the attached file with a striped background and with a logo. I am trying to print it to PDF and am finding that the horizontal stripes in the Word document come out bunched together and the logo, which is a PNG because I want the background to be transparent, becomes distorted with the edges blurred. I am attaching the problematic PDF.

At first, I thought the problem was my free PDF printer. So I bought a PDF writer reputed to be of high quality (Bluebeam), but the results are the same. Does anyone know what i am doing wrong?

Regards,
    JMT

Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='778023' date='02-Jun-2009 11:25']I am using Word 2003 and have created the attached file with a striped background and with a logo. I am trying to print it to PDF and am finding that the horizontal stripes in the Word document come out bunched together and the logo, which is a PNG because I want the background to be transparent, becomes distorted with the edges blurred. I am attaching the problematic PDF.[/quote]
    Here's a print of just the front cover to pdfFactory (settings: 300dpi; convert to JPG at 95% quality).

[attachment=84073:Cubierta....2_comic.pdf]
    At 300% it's nice and crisp. As you reduce the magnification, Adobe Reader seems to have trouble interpolating the image in an attractive manner. Of course, it has no idea that dropping lines is not the nicest way to render it. Bottom line, I think this is a problem with rendering high resolution print-targeted media in an on-screen viewer, and it would be very difficult to work around without a lot of experimentation with changes to the background image.

I suspect something similar is happening to the PNG, but it wasn't in the Word document so I didn't test that theory.
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops, I realize that I didn't upload the right document. The right one with the PNG is now uploaded.

Jefferson, your version is better than mine, but note that even in your version the color of the vertical lines is different in the PDF from that of the document. In the document, they are dark gray; in the PDF, they don't have that color. They look a bit reddish I think. Do you know why that's happening?

Also, note that when you blow up the PDF, the vertical lines get fatter, but when you blow up the Word document, they do not. I think that may be related to the problem; the PDF writer is unable to deal with the background in the Word document because it's not image or text in a traditional sense.

Regards,
    JMT

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You will need to check the settings on the PDF converter you are using. In the Adobe Acrobat tool for creating PDFs you can choose the resolution, quality and compression formats. I don't know the capability of your PDF creating software.

The images as JPEG is probably not a great format for this file as the pinstripes are unlikely to be rendered well as a JPEG. I believe that the way you have done the background pattern is implemented in Word as a tiled 2 colour bitmap in Word rather than a vector graphic so the bitmap format in PDF is going to be important.

The logo would be better as a vector image too as the bitmap resolution is going to depend on your PDF graphic settings but the resolution wont matter if the logo is a vector format.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='778086' date='02-Jun-2009 16:04']... even in your version the color of the vertical lines is different in the PDF from that of the document. In the document, they are dark gray; in the PDF, they don't have that color. They look a bit reddish I think. Do you know why that's happening?

Also, note that when you blow up the PDF, the vertical lines get fatter, but when you blow up the Word document, they do not. I think that may be related to the problem; the PDF writer is unable to deal with the background in the Word document because it's not image or text in a traditional sense.[/quote]
    Everything about this is guesswork for me; I am not an expert on PDF. I think the Logo might work better if you downsize the image; currently Word is downsizing it nicely, but the conversion to PDF, at least on my system, doesn't look so good.

[attachment=84078:Word_And_PDF.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='778117' date='03-Jun-2009 07:17']Everything about this is guesswork for me; I am not an expert on PDF. I think the Logo might work better if you downsize the image; currently Word is downsizing it nicely, but the conversion to PDF, at least on my system, doesn't look so good.

[attachment=84078:Word_And_PDF.png][/quote]

Andrew: how can I change the logo to a vector format? Can I save the PNG as a vector format in Photoshop? If so, will the background still be transparent?

I think the problem is that the backgrounds in Word are not backgrounds in the sense of images or JPGs. Rather, they are designs that when you zoom in, the distance between all of the stripes on the striped background remain the same, even when up real close; they never vary. PDF writers thus get confused about this.

I have discovered the solution. The way to work around this is to insert the background in Word, then when you have all the colors, etc., set up as desired, to take a picture of the background and then insert it as a picture (Format | Background | Fill Effects | Picture | Select Picture ...). When this is written to PDF, it comes out perfectly fine. It worked for me using both Bluebeam as well as a freedom PDF writer.

This is a bit annoying, because if you want to tweek your background, you have to start iwth a fresh background, tweek it, take a picture, and insert it anew, rather than simply be able to modify the background directly.

Regards,

JMT

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If your logo was created in Photoshop then it will be a bitmap and can't be 'converted' to vector without some other software which vectorises (traces) the bitmap. When a PDF is created the bitmaps are downsampled (the resolution is reduced) to make the resulting file size smaller. You can control the end bitmap resolutions within Acrobat itself but may not be able to do anything with the settings of the PDF tools you are using.

Because it looks pretty simple I would recommend you actually recreate the logo in a drawing program such as Illustrator or Corel Draw if you have them. Hint: The font in the logo appears to be Garamond.

I have attached the recreated logo saved as an emf which you can import back into your layout to try out the result. I had a go at doing it in Inkscape which is an opensource drawing package which has really good capabilities.

I am surprised that you are using Word to create artwork such as this - the drawing packages would be much better suited to do the entire artwork not just the logo. They also have generally have the ability to create the PDFs directly without using an external converter.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia